Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have read and posted on issues related to this....however I have a specific question related to if I should pull the valve covers and clean everything out.

In working on the motor, I pulled the vac lines off the valve cover and noticed below the rear breather elbow connection feeding the air box, that there is allot of gritty sludge built up in that area. Looking in the oil fill, it does not look near as bad and it is a much deeper cavity.

The engine does not leak oil, however I am getting some mild blow by that I suspect was the CVV connections. This jeep has 120K on it, my son purchased in early summer so I don't know how it was maintained.

Should I pull the valve cover and clean things up? If so, any advice or recommendations? It looks fairly straight forward, however I have never done this before.

Thanks

Mike in PA

·
Registered
513 Posts
harleydragon said:
I wouldn't if it's not having problems
X2. With that many miles it could just be all that sludge keeping it from leaking. Start messing with it and it could turn into a big deal. I would enjoy it and keep up on regular maintenance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
X3. My engine is the 4.2 and it had a lot of sludge and the PO was terrible on maintenance. Me being the cant sit still type took my valve cover off and ended up messing up the vac lines up and all the gunk was holding some fluids back. In the long run it worked out best that I did all that when I identified all the issues but it took me nearly a week to get back to square one. If its running fine I would not be in a big hurry to fix it unless you got time to fix the stuff you discover under the gunk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am with you on this....I am not looking for problems that do not exist. I am not knowledgeable on the inner workings of a motor, however I could learn as needed and am not afraid to tackle a challenge. I was not sure if all that crap could work its way back down into the motor and screw it up. I cleaned out the top breather elbow and the CVV and realized it was a gritty, caked up sludge and wondered if it was going to be harmful to the motor and asked the question.

As a follow up question....would making a Seafoam treatment to the oil have any impact (+ or -)? I treated the intake and the gas, I was just waiting on the oil until I was ready to change it.

Thanks for the feedback......

Mike in PA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts