Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The JK I'm getting has the grocery bag hook on the right lower dash. Can that be replaced with a 12v or USB power port? Anyone have any ideas, suggestions or examples of what you did to yours?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Yes, it can. You can either order the JK outlet and install it or get something from Amazon and make it fit.

Attachments

Reactions: Captain Skip

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Yes, it can. You can either order the JK outlet and install it or get something from Amazon and make it fit.

Nice! I already bought almost the exact same thing but haven't installed it yet. Found that the stock battery terminals were weak and causing faults so that was the first thing to do.

For now though, my CB is plugged into the 12V so need to solve this first.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

If this is your rig, did the USB power port fit right into the dash cutout or did you have to add a bezel or remove material?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
If this is your rig, did the USB power port fit right into the dash cutout or did you have to add a bezel or remove material?
No, the receptacle does not fit the opening without some assistance.

I'm cheap so I took a dremel tool to the grocery hook and milled it out so that the USB receptacle fit in the remains of the hook, then used that to place it in the dash opening.

The wiring isn't there, at least it wasn't on my sport. I ran power from the battery as I wanted this one to be hot all the time. The other option, if you want it switched, is to either tap into the existing power plug on the drivers side or buy the Quadratec harness that plugs into the existing plug. It's a bit on the expensive side but there is no splicing required if you buy that.

Reactions: Captain Skip

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
mine I just did a Tap n' go, tried to look for a picture but I guess I forgot to take one, my build thread may have more info also when I did this mod...kind of hesitant to tear into it again as I got every thing how I like it :D

found a pic....

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I'm just not a fan of those suitcase connectors. I freely admit it's a personal thing.

I also have my heated seats spliced in there so my wires are a bit tight to do anything else to them.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
im not a huge fan of the splice thing either, but these connectors are removable so I am more ok with them as I can change things around if needed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts