Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading another thread that mentioned using a ground anchor to get unstuck when there were no other vehicles or trees around. Found a ground anchor at WalMart.com for $140.

Portable Vehicle Recovery Ground Anchor 12,000 lb Capacity - Walmart.com

Anyone own one (from WalMart)? Are they worth the weight? The only time I've gotten stuck was in axle-deep mud and not a tree in sight.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
That's about $300 cheaper than most I've seen, I wonder why?

Cheaper doesn't mean bad quality or bad design, I'm used to seeing these for $350-$500, so. . . . .

Look at them on Amazon and see if you can tell why this is so much cheaper.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amazon was where I went first and they had one model and it was about $350. I am just wondering if something like this is worth carrying or would likely never be used. There is an off road park about 30 miles from where I live and a large portion of it is wide open dirt with a few mounds and mud holes. Most of the time there is somebody there wheeling but I am also one of those "just in case" "always be prepared" types.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I have needed one twice, I ended up digging and piling rocks, I wish I had had one then.

It looks worthwhile to get and see if it's made well. I think I'll pick one up later this spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Home made ground anchors

A few years ago I drove into a mud bog, stuck my old jeep up to the passenger door window. Ended up paying someone to drive a Toyota pickup to where I could use it as an anchor because the local willows didn't work. Since then I took two four foot lengths of threaded black heavy wall pipe, cut one end off at 45 degrees and screwed a black iron solid pipe cap on the other end. I welded a D ring on each one just below the pipe cap and I carry a 4 pound sledge with me. The next time I will drive these both in several feet apart at a 45 degree angle away from my stuck jeep, thread my two inch recovery strap through the D rings and hook my winch to the recovery strap and pull my jeep out of what I shouldn't have driven it into.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Was reading another thread that mentioned using a ground anchor to get unstuck when there were no other vehicles or trees around. Found a ground anchor at WalMart.com for $140.

Portable Vehicle Recovery Ground Anchor 12,000 lb Capacity - Walmart.com

Anyone own one (from WalMart)? Are they worth the weight? The only time I've gotten stuck was in axle-deep mud and not a tree in sight.

Might read this. Appears to be the same product.

Testing Pull-Pal Alternative: Smittybilt W.A.S.P. (Winch Anchor Support Platform) - Expedition Portal)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, then its probably a duck.

If its for sale at Walmart, really inexpensive compared to its proven counterparts, and made by a company called "discount ramps", its probably sh*t.

I'd love a ground anchor, but if/when I get one it won't be this.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I need a ground anchor that has a heater built into that can melt a foot deep into the ground to get myself out. Maybe a propane FLAME THROWER.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have the same problem, no real trees to grab onto around me just half area in the whole bonneg carre spillway

·
Registered
538 Posts
Pretty limited use in my experience and where I wheel, so not at the top of my shopping list. Got everything else you might need? shove, strap, shackles, etc.

Does look like a good price, though. Just a matter of priorities...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
If you heed one of the basics of recreational offroading and never wheel alone, you can just anchor your Jeep to another Jeep. My primary wheeling areas have no trees to attach anything to, but it's not an issue since I can always hook my winch or strap to someone else, or they can connect their strap or winch to my TJ.

In all my years of wheeling and of the countless Jeeps I've wheeled with and done safety inspections of, I've never seen a single Jeep that was carrying a ground anchor. To me, it'd just take up valuable space and it would just add unnecessary weight. There are many contraptions out there designed for rare scenarios and this, to me, is one of the rarest. So if you are smart and don't wheel recreationally alone, which is dangerous no matter how you look at it, you don't need one.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I never wheel alone, my jeep is always with me.

I kid. I never go "recreational" wheeling alone. But I've gotten stuck on backwoods Indiana roads alone. In fact, I didn't buy my winch on my last jeep for wheeling at all.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I'd hate to see what would happen if one of those things suddenly failed, or popped out of the ground at full tension.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'd hate to see what would happen if one of those things suddenly failed, or popped out of the ground at full tension.
That's what I've always thought! But if it popped out and was still attached. Wouldn't the weight of the anchor prevent any whiplash?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah, I'd think the only thing that would come flying back would be the cable if it broke. So, putting a blanket over it, as recommended for winching, would be the cure.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
That's what I've always thought! But if it popped out and was still attached. Wouldn't the weight of the anchor prevent any whiplash?
The weight of it would just make it far more deadly. This is what happens when it comes loose... and this is just from the weight of a shackle on a non-stretchy tow strap, similar to a non-stretchy winch cable.

It went right through the windshield and imbedded itself into the seat. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The weight of it would just make it far more deadly. This is what happens when it comes loose... and this is just from the weight of a shackle on a non-stretchy tow strap, similar to a non-stretchy winch cable.

It went right through the windshield and imbedded itself into the seat. :eek:
Also a good warning for anyone that has extraction points that aren't tied into the frame (even more so for FRIENDS of people that have extraction points that aren't tied to the frame).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts