Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a 2.5hr trip for my mother in laws birthday I decided to do a normal check on my 2012 jku. I bought my jeep with 34,000mi on it and since then I've put 1500 on it. I decided to take a look at the air filter and this is what I find.. I'm assuming the previous owner decided to take the plunge on a fancy eBay turbo:mooning:.. I know you guys have seen them while searching for intakes/filters. I also noticed that it has a k&n drop in filter as well which I decided to keep in it for the time being.
I removed the "turbo fan" and decided to take a short drive.. I had to see if I noticed any difference and believe it or not I did, the jeep had NOTICEABLE better throttle responce And from say a 25mph punch it felt to accel faster without this contraption in the intake tube! I honestly wouldn't have thought that you would be able to tell a difference either way but you can.

Long story short.. If you've been wanting to know real world feedback on this thing.. Its junk!

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
This is the same type of crap they sold for years as a super fuel efficiency upgrade. Remember the magnets installed around the fuel lines...didn't buy that either. Gimmicks that do nothing but catch "fish", and in the case of your discovery, more harm than good.
Be careful with the K&N also, they need to be cleaned regularly and re-oiled for them to work properly. Many (myself included) say they allow more dust through than the OEMs. Scoured cylinders can result if it happens. On a jeep (non racing ) I personally wouldn't risk it. The performance gain is negligible. I used to run them in high performance big block Chevy's, but that was not off road in dusty environments.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Turbooooonator!!!!!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Based on that and the way the letters were installed on your grill, I'd be looking over your rig VERY carefully..

Things like this are exactly why I always try and buy new..

If the guy thought one of these was a good idea, I wonder what snake oil he's dumped in the oil, fuel tank, or other critical parts of the vehicle...

Hope all is well..

·
Registered
535 Posts
I always considered a K&N air filter to be a safe product. Lots swear by them. Guess you can't believe much of anything anymore these days.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually put the black "jeep" logo on it lol and he only got the oil changed at the delership (found all service papers) so that's a plus I guess. It was 100% bone stock other than the filter/spinning thing lol. It still has original tires on it... For now :)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I always considered a K&N air filter to be a safe product. Lots swear by them. Guess you can't believe much of anything anymore these days.
They are fine for many environments and uses. The problems come when they are used in high airborne particulate environments like deserts and magnified when driving slowly off road on dirt trails.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you think about it, putting a restriction on your intake is going to make less power so it makes sense you gained some by removing it

·
Registered
269 Posts
Any filters that advertise increased horsepower (cold air intakes especially) achieve those gains by improving airflow through the intake. They accomplish this fact by increasing the size of the openings in the filter compared to stock, which in turn allows larger particulate matter through the filter. Like 2five22 said above this is an issue in very dusty environments where these style of filters can let fine dust particulates through which can scour and scratch your cylinder walls.

Can it happen? Yes. But I'd say 99% of people with cold air intakes never see conditions that can cause that sort of dust. However it is definitely good to educate yourself about the consequences of any modifications you add to your vehicle.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That fan doo dad is not a K&N item.

It's some AS SEEN ON TV piece of crap. Hang it around your neck on a chain and it will align the red blood cells and lower you blood pressure :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Looks like it's not even one of the electric-motor-powered ones ("electric supercharger"). The previous owner was VERY cheap and hopeful. How are you supposed to build boost if that turbine blade isn't powered?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I think the claim was to spin the air and allow for better air/fuel atomization.
This.. They make throttle body spacers with grooves that were suppose to do the same thing lol

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I had a Chevy Z1 350 1/2 pick up 4x4 that my regular mechanic talked me into trying a similar gizmo. He was so sure, he guaranteed to restore at his cost, back to stock, should it fail. This required unbolting the carb to mount a tube-device before the intake manifold.

I ran it for 2 months, kept notes, and found it failed in all measurable perimeters.

MPG was decreased 2mpg. Power was decreased as long-familiar mountain passes now required downshifting far earlier. Passing gear no longer was functional.

He did remove & replace everything.

We had quite a talk about just what he was thinking. He bought lunch too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The oil on the K&N is supposed to help catch the really fine dust. Just becareful not to over oil it and clean your airbox out before taking it to the dealer for any service. Jeep wouldn't cover there own work on my old TJ cause the factory rep said i mud in the airbox even though i didn't take it offroad. It was just extra oil and dust from the K&N(real dry summer and i live on a dirt road.).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts