Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy at my favorite off-road shop says that when I go from 33" to 35" tires I'll have to re-gear. He said that my jeep will be gutless. I didn't really notice anything between the factory 32"s and my true 33"s when I installed them. I have a 2011 JKUR with a six speed. I see tons of has JKs with 35"s, and I can't imagine they've all re-geared. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have no experience with your particular rig, but I've been doing a ton of research on this topic for myself. From everything I've read, your shop's statement seems to hold a lot of truth......particularly with the earlier 3.8 motors. Does your Rubicon have the 3.73 or 4.10 gears?

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
With what you've described, you'll be fine.
Some opinions are like........... well, you know
lol

ps- I run 35s with 4.10s and exhaust and my rig hauls ass.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
You will be fine.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
The "guy" at the shop either is a salesman or he simply doesn't know what he's talking about.
The 3.6 with 4.10s can easily handle 35's and do so nicely.
AEV is a decent builder of Rigs and routinely fields that combo.
As for advice, Yes ignore him.

·
Super Moderator
62,805 Posts
The guy at my favorite off-road shop says that when I go from 33" to 35" tires I'll have to re-gear. He said that my jeep will be gutless. I didn't really notice anything between the factory 32"s and my true 33"s when I installed them. I have a 2011 JKUR with a six speed. I see tons of has JKs with 35"s, and I can't imagine they've all re-geared. Any advise would be appreciated.
^^^^^
The "guy" at the shop either is a salesman or he simply doesn't know what he's talking about.
He has a 2011. He may need them with the 3.8.....I say may, that'll be up to him.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The 2011 has the 3.8, not the 3.6.

·
Registered
838 Posts
He said that my jeep will be gutless.
manual tranny, 4:1 transfer case & 4.10 diffs = you'll be just fine off road

on road you may find yourself stirring the stick a little more, depending on how tired your motor is and what the terrain looks like, but you'll be fine

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have two JK's with 3.8's and 4.10's. One has 34's and the other 35's. They are def not race cars nor did I expect them to be. Sure i wouldnt mind more power but they do just fine on the roads, trails, and highways. I have changed my driving habits to be more patient knowing I cant pass like I used to and have had to learn to control the throttle to avoid kicking down into 2nd at highway speeds (yes auto's). Head winds and hills can be nuisance but such is life. The people behind me can go around. My wife and I still love em. I will be regearing them as soon as $ permit or part failure (whichever comes first) to help with the lack of power.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Seeing as how quite a few in my local group are putting 4.56 gears in a 2012+ to run their 35's, I could believe a bit of what the salesman is saying. You will notice it's slower and more sluggish, but the question becomes whether it bothers you enough to change the gears.

I bought a '13 with 3.73 gears, and I'm running the "35 inch" GY Duratracs which are known to run small, new they measured 33.75" mounted. I noticed it was less peppy, but it didn't bother me much. I am considering looking at a 4.1 gear swap at some point, maybe if someone else upgrades.. and I think the 4.1 would be ideal - for me.

In saying that, I also had a TJ which had 3.73 gears. I had to turn off overdrive on the highway to keep it at 75mph. It really preferred cruising at 55-60mph. Drive in a headwind and you're fighting to stay in the 60's sometimes. I ran 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs on that Jeep. I really should have gone down to 31" tires or regeared. Fighting it on the highway was one reason I sold it, and I still regret it a bit. If I had joined some local Jeep groups I think I might have been swayed into dropping it down to 31" tires and lowering it to a 2" lift, they are still very capable with that.

So, back to you. If you really want to know, I'd try finding a local Jeep group or Jeep people with bigger tires, and see how their Jeep rides. Or buy from a tire dealer that will allow returns if you aren't happy, Discount Tire is pretty good at swapping in a different tire if you hate the ride.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I have an '08 with 35s, which is the also a 3.8. Because you are manual, you can definitely get by if you don't want to or don't have the funds to regear. 6th gear will be completely worthless except on the steepest downhills with a tailwind... I ran this way for about a year if I remember correctly. Coming from a 5spd, it wasn't a big deal. And because of the 4.1 transfer case, I was probably pretty close to the 1st gear gearing on my past TJ, which I was use to.

I then re-geared to 4.88s. Much improved, everything taking less effort and I can use 6th gear on the highway. I feel top end improved as well, cruising at 75-80+ regularly. Speed obviously takes effort in these bricks, but it can get there in most circumstances. Even more improved is the 1st gear low range. You can actually let the computer idle up the steepest stuff again.

Maybe I am spoiled, but I have to disagree with a lot of the comments on here. IMO, our jeeps are grossly underpowered compared to most any other vehicle out there. Unless you have a supercharger on a 3.6, or a 5.7 or bigger 8, you are hard pressed to claim your jeep flies..... Granted for the type of wheeling most of us do, more power is not going to add more utility, or make them go more places.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have an '08 with 35s, which is the also a 3.8. Because you are manual, you can definitely get by if you don't want to or don't have the funds to regear. 6th gear will be completely worthless except on the steepest downhills with a tailwind... I ran this way for about a year if I remember correctly. Coming from a 5spd, it wasn't a big deal. And because of the 4.1 transfer case, I was probably pretty close to the 1st gear gearing on my past TJ, which I was use to.

I then re-geared to 4.88s. Much improved, everything taking less effort and I can use 6th gear on the highway. I feel top end improved as well, cruising at 75-80+ regularly. Speed obviously takes effort in these bricks, but it can get there in most circumstances. Even more improved is the 1st gear low range. You can actually let the computer idle up the steepest stuff again.

Maybe I am spoiled, but I have to disagree with a lot of the comments on here. IMO, our jeeps are grossly underpowered compared to most any other vehicle out there. Unless you have a supercharger on a 3.6, or a 5.7 or bigger 8, you are hard pressed to claim your jeep flies..... Granted for the type of wheeling most of us do, more power is not going to add more utility, or make them go more places.
Back in 12 when the 3.6 came out in the Jk it shaved 3 sec off the 0-60 mark on the 2 door basic sport enabling a 0-60 run in 6.7 to 7.0 sec as tested. That's fast in my book and with 285 hp for a 3800 -4000lb vehicle is not a bad power to weight ratio at all, in fact better than many full size pick ups with V8's as they can weigh upwards of 5500-6000lbs.

The fastest vehicle I've owned was a mildly modified 2007 300C 5.7 Hemi which I could get to 60mph in 5.5 sec with ease, my JK is the second fastest vehicle I've owned and at 51 I've owned many.

Granted once you get into a 4 door which is 400-500 lbs heavier, start adding armor and larger tires, it becomes quite a bit slower, but my 2 door 6 speed manual with 3.73 gears and 33's is still the second fastest vehicle I've owned, but the least aerodynamic..lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts