Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started a thread asking about hitch mounted cargo carriers for extra storage for road trips. I've been keeping my options open and am now looking at gutter mounted foot packs with cross bars that will support a roof basket.

I want a roof rack but do not want to have to drill into the top or body to mount it, nor do I want to spend over $1500 for something I will not use all the time.

I already know which basket I will get from previous experience on my MK. The Rage Powersports heavy duty roof basket (exact same as the Rhino Rack only way cheaper). It is slightly smaller than other baskets but since I am limiting my mounting points to the length of the gutters, I don't want to get one that is too long. Plus this basket has the added benefit of being able to mount it on my Grand Caravan if need be using the factory rails.

Sorry for the long story just to ask a simple question, but here it is.

I am looking at the Thule 300 gutter mounted foot pack with cross bars to support this basket. I will be loading approximately 100 lbs of gear. Are the gutters strong enough to suit my needs? This will be something that I will be removing and reusing on a as needed basis. Are there better options for my scenario/dilemma?

Just as a point of reference, attached are pics of the basket mounted on my previous MK and on the Grand Caravan.

Any comments, questions or input is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Just a guess but I'd say - No.

The Chances of You "Knowing" you are at 100lbs and not 120 is an issue AND a Loaded Basket is NOT aerodynamic at all.
The gutters would not support that load IMO

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I used the Thule gutter mounts quite a bit with a 50 lb kayak strapped up there and never had any problems.

Having said that, I just bought the rhino rack backbone with quick release footpads. Once I get it installed, I'll rest easier knowing that whatever I have strapped up there will be more secure. I know that you said you didn't want to drill holes, but for my purposes this seemed like the best way to go. It also has the benefit of making the bars removable, with only the mounting pads and internal structure permanently attached to to top.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Still can't convince myself to drill. Anybody have experience with the Surco hard top mounts? They utilize the upper and lower portion of the rear top and only the rear gutter mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I'd be forever concerned about the fiberglass gutters breakdown over time. Also would rather have the load weight transferred to the hard top rather than the gutter.

I put the Yakima rails in my hard top. Not ideal go heavy loads, but at least as solid as any typical factory roof rack. More than suitable for surfboards, skis, ladders, probably a basket or a pod if not overloaded. I've actually put a few pieces of lumber up there and probably wouldn't have issues with a kayak or two.

The weak point is not in the mounting or the racks, but in the hard top capacity.

That being said, it's NOT a heavy duty rack system like some that are available. But your not going to get that heavy duty strength unless you go around the hard top.

Drilling the top really isn't an issue. Holes were few and small. Tracks provide a nice clamping of the sealant. It's actually better than many factory rack mountings. - absolute worst case long term would be maybe 1-2 hours to remove, clean, reseal and reinstall the tracks. But I'd not expect that for a very long time.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have exaggerated on the amount of weight that I will be placing up on top. The 100 pounds would be including the weight of the bars and the basket also.

I would be concerned as well about the gutters breaking down over time however this is not going to be mounted all of the time. It would only be to haul my gear to and from my destination. As soon as I am back at home the rack would come off.

Just looking for a temporary solution. If I was going to keep the rack mounted all of the time, then I would probably drill into the hard top or look for a more heavy duty solution.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I may have exaggerated on the amount of weight that I will be placing up on top. The 100 pounds would be including the weight of the bars and the basket also. I would be concerned as well about the gutters breaking down over time however this is not going to be mounted all of the time. It would only be to haul my gear to and from my destination. As soon as I am back at home the rack would come off. Just looking for a temporary solution. If I was going to keep the rack mounted all of the time, then I would probably drill into the hard top or look for a more heavy duty solution.
Consider clamping and in clamping to the gutter may be more detrimental than just leaving them on.

The Yakima tracks help spread the load out over the top. The towers click on and off in seconds with no tools. The tracks and landing pads remain in place, low profile.

Just some thoughts.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know and I appreciate your reply. I am just trying to talk myself out of drilling and you are not making it easy. Stop making so much sense! :pullinghair:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I know and I appreciate your reply. I am just trying to talk myself out of drilling and you are not making it easy. Stop making so much sense! :pullinghair:
Sorry. I was a bit leery at first. Total kit was $322 on Amazon. Install was less than two hours going slow. I didn't need anything more than what came with the kit. It's solid and easy to use.

Land vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry. I was a bit leery at first. Total kit was $322 on Amazon. Install was less than two hours going slow. I didn't need anything more than what came with the kit. It's solid and easy to use.

View attachment 2779818
The price jumped up. That kit is $390.00 on Amazon right now!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts