Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, So brand new jeep wrangler 2015 1003 KMs on it ( BRAND NEW) was coming home from work today after filling up the tank and on the highway after 100km/h (60mph) the thing started shaking and vibrating!! and the faster i went the worse it got! it was so bad it made me nearly vomit from car sickness.. Now i read up on death wobble and i looked at videos and its not as intense as that... However it is defiently not normal and has not done this before!!! NOW! be advised...I did use 94 octane fuel because the gas station was out of 87... can this effect it? also its -23 degrees Celsius here...But its a freaking jeep!!! my brothers freaking corrolla doesnt shake at minus 23.. HELP GUYS !! This thing is pissing me off! its brand new for crying out loud!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nott reallllyy, i mean a bit but its kinda frozen...im going to clear it out now and go for a highway boot.. ill get back to you on it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
freaking thing is brand new! i dont get it! No ive never gone off roading, nor have i even driven in deep snow! thats what i get for babying a jeep! If thats how she wants to act... Then fine... TO THE TRENCHES WITH HER!!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Seems hard to believe you'd have DEATH wobble tie rod issues on a new jeep. Only thing that makes sense is a wheel balance issue. If you can get it in a heated garage overnight that would be the best solution. I hate to see you pay to bring it to the dealer for them to leave it in the shop to thaw out and charge you a diagnostic fee.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has it recently snowed where you are? It sounds like the snow/ice theory previously mentioned is a likely culprit, even if you think you've got it all cleared out. My suggestion- either park it in a heated garage over night, or run it through a warm-water car wash (or even a do-it-yourself one). Apply as much warm air or hot water as you can to the wheels and then see what happens.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed when i parked that there was one little bit of ice i forgot to clear from drivers side front rim... can one wheel cause an imbalance? And at the present moment its a tropical -24 (Canada eh) im thinking tommorow during the day to run it through the wash bay and just get the rims and only the rims ....Last time i froze myself out and had to get in through the trunk.... Haha we all learn at our own pace....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
screw it! Im not gunna sleep right if i dont try this! IM OFF TO THE WASH BAY! ill update you guys in rougly 15-20 minutes... Before i go.... 94 octane leaded fuel?,,,, Could that cause any issues regarding this?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Remember wheel balance weights are in grams. Typically only a few grams (1-3 grams). Unbalanced wheels cause fairly significant shaking of the steering wheel at highway speeds.

Imagine how impactful 200-500 grams of snow or ice would be by contrast.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SOLVED AFTER THE WASH...
You guys are awesome! I may never ever need another mechanic ever again thanks to this site haha... Thanks for all your help and tips guys! Really appreciate it Sif, White_boy_1991, NO4DOORS, ohioviper,! Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
freaking thing is brand new! i dont get it! No ive never gone off roading, nor have i even driven in deep snow! thats what i get for babying a jeep! If thats how she wants to act... Then fine... TO THE TRENCHES WITH HER!!!!
This made me laugh.

Glad you got your shit fixed.

·
Premium Member
7,470 Posts
Before i go.... 94 octane leaded fuel?,,,, Could that cause any issues regarding this?
Wait, LEADED fuel? The Wrangler runs on unleaded fuel unless you have a non US version and then I'm not sure. You'll screw up the cat. if this is a US spec Wrangler.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Wait, LEADED fuel? The Wrangler runs on unleaded fuel unless you have a non US version and then I'm not sure. You'll screw up the cat. if this is a US spec Wrangler.

I seriously doubt they bought leaded fuel unless they buy fuel at a race track or an airport. I friend in high school put avgas in his Grad Marquis and it melted the liner under the carpet above the cat so if the OP ran leaded fuel they'd know by now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad you got the wobble fixed.

The owners manual states.

"This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide excellent
fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines.

My Ford Expedition manual stated that octane higher than 87 could damage the engine. I never take a chance. The Jeep manual also warns about using octane boosters.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts