Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've upgraded to a new set of 7" lamps for my JK and also purchased the H13 to H14 adapters. I'm guessing like Others who have experienced this is that the adapter does not "click" into other plug (Male to Female) as the housings are made slightly to long. You may have to hack saw the plastic housing enough to make it fit/click into other housing or use plastic ties or tape to secure/hold it into place.
Has anyone experienced this (know what I'm talking about?)?
From day one they didn't fit as the housings were just a bit too long. I had to shave the housings a bit just enough for both housing to somewhat click together and lock in. Even though still not enough I used zip ties. Well one housing every once and a while you have to wiggle the adapter for it to make a connection making lamp work. It got to the point that over time this area of the plug is corroded due to possibly arcing as there are signs of soot in the pin area.
I'm looking to just replace these adapters to a pair that pretty much lock in place AND work! I've looked up on Amazon and the H13 to H14 adapters I've seen all say the same thing in their reviews....."housings are to long not making the proper connection".
Are there adapters out there that actually work?! There Must be something out there?
Help....

·
Registered
170 Posts
yeah, it definitely sucks. I've been fiddling with my lights for about 6 months now, and just finally get it sorted out (I think)

really strong zip ties seems to be the answer

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, you don't know of any brand out there that actually works/locks in place? There's got to be a H13 to H14 adapter/s that works without having to use friggin zip ties or cutting down these connector housings...
I looked some more and seen Other brands but not sure if I'm going to run into the same problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i haven't done any kind of exhaustive search and testing, but every single one I've ever seen with a review attached mentions how they're just slightly too long, need zip ties

the 4 different ones I've futzed with have all had the same issue. some I've shaved down, but they always end up wiggling loose when doing a lot of bumpity bumpity, so I just zip tie at install

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Quadratech sells some and I am happy with them. The 3 I tired on Amazon had similar issues or died fast.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quadratech sells some and I am happy with them. The 3 I tired on Amazon had similar issues or died fast.
Just checked them/some out on Quadt. and bought some. I saw the "KC" ones or were they "HELLA'S" for $26. and I opted for the $10. ones. We'll see as I should have them by this Saturday.
I'll check back in and share my thoughts if they snap into place or if I need to purchase zip ties once again!!!:jawdrop:
Actually, if they do the same thing as the ones I got installed now I may just return them and spend the extra $ for the $26. ones...

thnx all for the suggestions/replies...

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I tried the big brand name ones 3 times and they all sucked. These work just fine. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073LQQ2F4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Those are actually the PWM modules which also convert H13 to H4. They will work, but if your are installing e-code incandescent headlights, the PWM part is unnecessary.

I used these when I converted from factory candles to Hella e-code headlights. The el cheapo ones I ordered first did not work as the pins kept sliding back in the plug on the H13 side of the adapters. I then went with the KC HiLite plugs and the quality of the device was quickly evident, heavier wire, plugs that worked. I have not seen then in two years as they went with my Sahara when I traded it in on the Chief (which has Mopar factory LEDs).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EVJC3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sambo42xa - the ones I refer to above are the same ones listed on the Qtec site. If you have not already done so, be sure to sign up for the Quadratec discount for WF members. You have to either call or e-mail as there is not way to do that on line. I just put their Gen II LEDs in my TJ. Haven't had a chance to try them at night. They even gave me my discount on them and they were on sale!

Another good thing about Quadratec, is that if you have a question or trying to decide between two products, if you call they will give you a straight answer, not blow smoke up your rear. I was trying to decide if I should go with Bestop on my new top or Pavement Ends (budget series made by Bestop). Their answer was that Bestop was a better top (even better than their own).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are actually the PWM modules which also convert H13 to H4. They will work, but if your are installing e-code incandescent headlights, the PWM part is unnecessary.

I used these when I converted from factory candles to Hella e-code headlights. The el cheapo ones I ordered first did not work as the pins kept sliding back in the plug on the H13 side of the adapters. I then went with the KC HiLite plugs and the quality of the device was quickly evident, heavier wire, plugs that worked. I have not seen then in two years as they went with my Sahara when I traded it in on the Chief (which has Mopar factory LEDs).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EVJC3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sambo42xa - the ones I refer to above are the same ones listed on the Qtec site. If you have not already done so, be sure to sign up for the Quadratec discount for WF members. You have to either call or e-mail as there is not way to do that on line. I just put their Gen II LEDs in my TJ. Haven't had a chance to try them at night. They even gave me my discount on them and they were on sale!

Another good thing about Quadratec, is that if you have a question or trying to decide between two products, if you call they will give you a straight answer, not blow smoke up your rear. I was trying to decide if I should go with Bestop on my new top or Pavement Ends (budget series made by Bestop). Their answer was that Bestop was a better top (even better than their own).
Ok, I saw these (as I mentioned above) but I'm a cheap bastard and opted for the $4.99 ea. ones on sale. Sorry, I don't know how to do the link to put on here.
Funny because I typed in..."H13 to H14" and what came up were the ones u linked and the ones I purchased but they show it as "H4 to H13" And that it would fit/work for the 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK. Anyway, they came in this past Friday and I first replaced the one giving me the hard time intermitting. Did not have to cut or shave any plastic as the male/female parts fit perfect! I did not replace the other one as it's working fine. I have a spare though incase...
Just for more info...the bulbs I have are Hella's 80-100w. I have a little bit of electric grease on the prongs and like I said, both the lamp plug and adapters fit correctly.
Now, is someone going to tell me this plug is going to get hot??? :jawdrop:

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Yes it could get a bit warm since you are running high wattage bulbs. (Normal is 55w low and 60w high beam). Over time it could affect the integrity of the connector which is why some made of a ceramic are available.

The actual designation for the old style 3 flat prong connection is H4. There is apparently an H14, but is very uncommon. (A listing of bulb types has pictures of most of the types, but not of an H14.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts