Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if I switch to the hella e-code headlights I know there's a new harness I can buy but do I have to buy it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You don't have to buy the harness. I didn't when I did the H4 conversion but eventually will when I buy bulbs with higher wattage.

·
Registered
161 Posts
it depends on the watts of the bulb you want to use i don't know what the e codes come with. the vision x ones i got i put the 55/60 watt witch is same as stock and you don't need a harness

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking 100w for a bright light, I also have 100w KC daylighters by the windshield but I have to re wire the guy who did it hacked the wire to hell and hella ff500 fog lights on the bumper

·
Registered
161 Posts
you will need the upgraded harness for 100s

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I'm wondering if I switch to the hella e-code headlights I know there's a new harness I can buy but do I have to buy it?

You don't have to but you should. If you're going through the trouble of converting to an H4, do the harness (not much money) so that you get the full potential of the new lighting.

If you put in Hella e code housing without changing the bulbs would it be brighter or just a different pattern?

The E-codes convert your headlights from POS oem sealed beam (non-replaceable bulb) to an H4 housing (replaceable bulb). The E-code housings improve the beam pattern with a distinct verticle cutoff that enables you to run higher wattage bulbs without blinding oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Standard H4's in the Hella E-Codes are so much brighter than the POS sealed beams. I love my E-Codes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UnlimitedRubicon said:
You don't have to but you should. If you're going through the trouble of converting to an H4, do the harness (not much money) so that you get the full potential of the new lighting.

The E-codes convert your headlights from POS oem sealed beam (non-replaceable bulb) to an H4 housing (replaceable bulb). The E-code housings improve the beam pattern with a distinct verticle cutoff that enables you to run higher wattage bulbs without blinding oncoming traffic.
The harness I found was like 87 bucks and 86 for the e-code kit, that sound right?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UnlimitedRubicon said:
I got my lighting setup from Daniel Stern but I've read posts about the PUTCO 230004HW harness for ~$30. The housings are the same price as Quadratec.
Where did you find that harness at or how do I get the Daniel stern setup?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Where did you find that harness at

I cannot vouch for the quality (there are some poor reviews regarding the relays/connectors) but Google shows the PUTCO 230004HW available at amazon for $27.00 shipped.

or how do I get the Daniel stern setup?

Google danielsternlighting. He has an email link where you can send him what vehicle you have and what you're looking for and he'll give you some suggestions. The setup he recommends: Cibie housings, Osram or Narva bulbs and his harness kit (doesn't include the wire but has quality bosch relays and connectors) is going to be more expensive. The Hella housings, a Putco harness and Osram bulbs are going to be ~$100 less.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UnlimitedRubicon said:
I cannot vouch for the quality (there are some poor reviews regarding the relays/connectors) but Google shows the PUTCO 230004HW available at amazon for $27.00 shipped.

Google danielsternlighting. He has an email link where you can send him what vehicle you have and what you're looking for and he'll give you some suggestions. The setup he recommends: Cibie housings, Osram or Narva bulbs and his harness kit (doesn't include the wire but has quality bosch relays and connectors) is going to be more expensive. The Hella housings, a Putco harness and Osram bulbs are going to be ~$100 less.
It's bad to say but I need cheep, lol I have to do a SYE and custom driveshaft to get rid of the clashing u joints, and I have to regear the axles to 4.56 gear but I'm getting 17.5 miles to the gallon with my 3.73's so I might just order the lights with 55w Xeon bulbs so they are bright enough.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bit of an old thread but I'm wanting to do the H4 conversion. I thought about buying a kit to do it but thought I'd piece it together with IPF housings and some other bulbs, not sure which. But a couple questions. Our stock lights use the H4 connector correct, that's the JK's that use the H13? Also, how about an updated list of decent harnesses for the lights, if I choose to go to a 100w bulb. Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts