Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2008 (with factory sub), the previous owner had already installed a cheap aftermarket headunit ("HU"). I crawled under the driver's side dash, and I can see that they simply cut all the wires for one of the harnesses that plugs into the stock Alpine Infinity amp. :( I don't see an aftermarket amp under either seat, so I assume the HU is driving the speakers directly.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should rip it all out and start from scratch with a better aftermarket HU, or get a stock HU and harness off eBay or somewhere and make everything factory again.

I do prefer the look of the factory HU.

I don't have EVIC or steering wheel controls.

I don't care about GPS nav or backup cameras.

I don't care about making Bluetooth phone calls.

I'm not an audiophile, and don't want to spend a small fortune on fancy amps and crossovers and things.

I would like to do Bluetooth music streaming. As I understand it, that feature was added to UConnect in 2012. Can a 2012+ headunit be retrofitted into a 2008? If so, will it work with my 2008 stock Alpine Infinity amp or would I have to put a 2012+ amp in as well? Or maybe this is uncharted territory. :)

Thanks for any thoughts and advice...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you were to source a 2012 and newer head unit, with one exception, you would also have to source the UConnect module and all of the harnesses. Sourcing a 730n instead would possibly be cheaper- it has Bluetooth/UConnect built in.

When you shop around, I think you will find a simple aftermarket head unit will sound better, cost less and will have the streaming Bluetooth functions work better than UConnect does (it is glitchy). A Pioneer single-DIN with those features can be had for around $150, and will likely have a detachable faceplate that makes it look extremely generic and not theft-worthy when the faceplate is removed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts