Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

81 - 100 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
You'll find right away that the EVIC has changed in the 2013 10A and 2014 up with the expanded options to see oil, temp, etc. This was first thought to be part of the TPIM or ECU functions, people were looking for a way to unlock it for the 2012 and 2013 owners. A short time ago someone was able to swap the dash control panel (gauges) and was able to make the expanded EVIC from a 2014+ work in a 2013- JK.

If you need any more ideas for projects this would be neat to work on too. I tried finding a way to order a 2014+ cluster but the dealer said there's no way to do it because they require the VIN to order one and they have to program it because of the Odometer. They take back the old cluster as a core and it needs to match too. The only way to unlock this may come down to CANbus feeds in the cluster itself. Or I could be wrong completely..

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Am I posting to a dead thread as well? I am very interested in it. I deal with vehicle CAN on a daily basis. Are you using any line termination for the tap? I see in the first few pictures there was not any resistors anywhere. Generally if you tap in to a CAN line somewhere, you will need a bit of resistance to cancel any noise on the line.
Also, how are you going about decoding the raw data, do you have some sort of database file or just going by trial and error? I have various database files for vehicle chassis CAN for other models that I deal with at work, but would love the same for my Jeep. Contact me via PM if you want.

·
He's no good to me dead.
1,070 Posts
Am I posting to a dead thread as well? I am very interested in it. I deal with vehicle CAN on a daily basis. Are you using any line termination for the tap? I see in the first few pictures there was not any resistors anywhere. Generally if you tap in to a CAN line somewhere, you will need a bit of resistance to cancel any noise on the line.
Also, how are you going about decoding the raw data, do you have some sort of database file or just going by trial and error? I have various database files for vehicle chassis CAN for other models that I deal with at work, but would love the same for my Jeep. Contact me via PM if you want.
If you go back a page there is a link for the ops blog, you may have better luck there, and you might get this thread revived which would be sweet as well

·
Registered
576 Posts
Now we just need a way to override the oem electronic disco. lol...

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Sad, but perhaps he's just busy. I know if I honestly look at what I need to do, I'm running a few months behind. Heck, I'm working on early October projects right now, but I am behind from early September.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Curious. Maybe the men in the black coats from Chrysler paid a visit to the OP.

I'm hoping this thread comes back to life because, even though I don't understand most of it, I'm optimistic that some good things will come from it.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I am still here, and still working on this and related projects. No men in black coats, but just a prodigious lack of time. My new day job has been much more all-consuming than I had expected. Still, some good stuff happening behind the scenes.

I had an interesting experience with the project recently. On one of the fall off-roading excursions before the snow came, the wiring harness I was using had a wire disconnect from all the off-road bouncy-bouncy. That was using a cheapo aftermarket wiring harness like you'd use to hook up an aftermarket stereo, and the quality difference between it and the OEM connectors are amazing. A good lesson for the future.

I have lots of time off coming up over the holidays so looking forward to some quality time in the shop. Hopefully I can stay away from the other car, as it has its own siren song of fun hacking calling my name.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If we were in the same area code I'd gladly come over and help you break things.

I can DIY pretty well but, to be honest, I can barely spell CANBUS let alone understand the stuff you're talking about (but I like it).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great work! Found this while researching for some of my own similar projects. Great to be able to cheat off of someone elses work =)
How about TPMS tire pressure values? Any chance of tracking those down?
My 2013 JKUR does not display individual tire pressures, just "Left Low". Would be nice to be able to see them. Are you able to send a command to honk the horn (even briefly?) - if so, you could replicate the feature some other new cars have, that honk when you are airing up to let you know you've reached the target pressure. Particularly useful for Jeeps, since we air up and down so often. It's possible that this wouldn't work while stationary, without some other hook to query the tire pressure value, as the TPMS sensors don't normally broadcast while stationary...but I have some ideas there as well...

And what about pitch/roll attitude data?

Thanks again for sharing all of your hard work!
-Sky

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Great work! Found this while researching for some of my own similar projects. Great to be able to cheat off of someone elses work =)
How about TPMS tire pressure values? Any chance of tracking those down?
My 2013 JKUR does not display individual tire pressures, just "Left Low". Would be nice to be able to see them. Are you able to send a command to honk the horn (even briefly?) - if so, you could replicate the feature some other new cars have, that honk when you are airing up to let you know you've reached the target pressure. Particularly useful for Jeeps, since we air up and down so often. It's possible that this wouldn't work while stationary, without some other hook to query the tire pressure value, as the TPMS sensors don't normally broadcast while stationary...but I have some ideas there as well...

And what about pitch/roll attitude data?

Thanks again for sharing all of your hard work!
-Sky
Almost all of that would be in the domain of changing the ECU software between the TIPM and CCN modules, not so much just sniffing or sending out packets. The TPMS data might be an exception there, but I haven't explicitly looked for it yet.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
For those of you that have worked with wiring harnesses, do you have a suggestion on the right tool for removing and inserting wiring pins into the harness connectors? I've gone through a couple of el cheapo aftermarket harness connectors that fail easily if a connector is removed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I understand very little of this but it sounds really cool! By any chance is this the sort of thing that could allow the addition of switches to the OEM switch panel? I remember reading something about that being wired into the CANbus. Or is that something completely different?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I understand very little of this but it sounds really cool! By any chance is this the sort of thing that could allow the addition of switches to the OEM switch panel? I remember reading something about that being wired into the CANbus. Or is that something completely different?
The answer is, yes, it is possible.

That OEM switch pod, called the instrument panel switch pod, is a single unit based on the options in the car, rather than a collection of individual switches. The unit itself uses the CAN bus to send messages to the various other ECUs in the car, and listens to messages to show state.

For example, if you press the heated seat button in the switch pod, it sends a message across the CAN bus to the HSM (heated seat module), which does the right thing.

So, it is entirely possible to envision a replacement instrument panel switch pod that was configurable, had a display, and retained existing factory functionality while adding some. It might not even be that hard (other than the fabrication of at the replacement plastics and buttons to have it retain that OEM look).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Almost all of that would be in the domain of changing the ECU software between the TIPM and CCN modules, not so much just sniffing or sending out packets. The TPMS data might be an exception there, but I haven't explicitly looked for it yet.
The upgraded EVIC presents individual pressures, so I was hopeful that it was floating around on the CAN interior. If you happen to see it while you are sniffing around (unlikely I know, especially if you don't have the display on yours), let me know =)

For anyone that has individual tire pressures on their display - does it update real-time when you inflate/deflate?

Best regards,
-Sky

81 - 100 of 176 Posts