Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, can anyone help.
My wife purchased a radio that came from a 2014 jeep compass to replace my faulty radio in my 2008 CRD wrangler. Connected up and nothing. Appears it may need a signal from the Can bus to operate. Is this true, if so is there a way to bypass this, or can I send a command from my 2008 can bus to activate. Need help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I'm new here. Don't have a Jeep of any kind but I do have a Dodge Journey. I'm following this forum since it has some of the best coverage of CAN bus for Chrysler vehicles I've seen. It looks like dcgibbons leads the pack on cracking them.
You know what's interesting about this, too, is that it seems yet different again with the newer Jeeps. I had a security researcher contact me about the Grand Cherokee and their gateway is acting really differently than the JK's.
I was looking at the online wiring diagrams and the GC seems to be wired the same as the Dodge Journey. The diagnostic port has both the CAN-C and the CAN-IHS busses at the same location.

Just had a questions about the various busses and the OBD2 port. I don't have a Wrangler but have a 2015 WK2 Grand Cherokee so hoping similar enough.
My questions:
1. Based on the above is that C Bus likely to be diag or normal?
2. Is that likely to really be an IHS Bus on 3+11?
3. Do I need anything special to read the IHS bus or can I either just build an adapter to cross them into PINs 6+14 and use anything off the shelf that reads/writes ISO15765-4 or plug them into an Arduino CAN-L and CAN-H and read them using pyOBD or canutils?
Looking at the information I found on the star connectors used on the Journey, and I assume the GC as well, the real IHS buss is on pins 3+11. The star connectors have no active electronics in them just some passive components such as inductors and resistors.

Anyway I'll shut up now and just do some reading.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Hey guys. I know this thread is a bit old. Has anyone found the pid for the oil pressure sending unit?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi All - I am new to this and have torque on android. Would like to be able to view status of particular systems, and send commands. ex- engage lockers, change radio volume, etc.

Is there some reference information out there regarding how to accomplish this? I know traildash has a few of these features. Wondering if torque can do this. Thanks

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Hey guys. I know this thread is a bit old. Has anyone found the pid for the oil pressure sending unit?
Not yet... it might not be available as an extended PID so the standard tools might not be able to find it, even though the data is available somewhere. Still hoping to find it...

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Hi All - I am new to this and have torque on android. Would like to be able to view status of particular systems, and send commands. ex- engage lockers, change radio volume, etc.

Is there some reference information out there regarding how to accomplish this? I know traildash has a few of these features. Wondering if torque can do this. Thanks
If there was reference information available that would be awesome... but unfortunately that's all considered proprietary material to the manufacturer so you won't it published. Companies like TrailDash are paying Chrysler/Fiat for access to that data so they can build with it.

So the best next option is to hack it by recording the data on the bus sent by a tool that already does it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
One quick question from a dull blade of grass. If I wanted to splice in a remote switch on one of the wires going to the OBD that would make a thief with a scan tool think the system was active yet prevent him from programming a key, which wire would that be?

Thank you for your help

·
Commercial Member
2,059 Posts
So here's some new data while the vehicle was moving, and playing with the auto-stick. Pretty easy to see the gear selector indicators there.

auto in 1st = 61 5C 01 10 04 31 4B
auto in 2nd = 61 5C 02 20 04 32 49
auto in 3rd = 61 5C 03 30 04 33 61
auto in 4th = 61 5C 04 40 04 34 61
auto in 5th = 61 5C 05 50 04 35 61
I've just started using the Torque app and was wondering if you were able to make a display that shows the current gear the auto tranny is in? If so, what are the settings that you used to display it?

Thanks for the great info and help to everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CAN bus via ODB2

I'm a little late the party here and happy to read that the CAN bus cannot be directly read from ODB2. I assumed it could - and did not know the difference between the CANs. I'm using Arduino, SparkFun CAN board and ODB2-DB9 cable and seeing no traffic - and spent time trying to diagnose before reading here that OBD2 is quiet w/o request data.

So it looks like I'll try the radio harness splice (thank you DCGibbons for the videos and mopar link suggestion in an earlier post) and ditch the ODB2 cable.

2012 JK!
Thanks for all of this research.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have done some more research on this and it appears that, if you want to use an iPhone with the adapter, it is better to get a low power Bluetooth adapter instead of WiFi. This is because, once the phone is connected to device's WiFi, you can't use your cellular data to do things like stream Pandora, use Waze, Siri, get email, push notifications, etc... It's like you put your phone in airplane mode except for being able to take calls.

So the question is which low power Bluetooth adapter is compatible with the most software? So far, I am looking at the LELink due to its price point.
Hudwiser...Sorry if I may be late.. You shall be able to use wifi in a ELM327 for iOS, better than Bluetooth in terms of connectivity flexibility. It will be necessary to activate your data in proxy module to use simultaneously the device and your Mobile Data. If you go for Bluetooth it will be necessary to select a Bluetooth 4.0 or BTLE or Bluetooth Low Energy that is the framework iOS uses since 2014, I Guess... I hope this helps...

dcgibbons... Keep your hard work....I guess this guys are more careful in the way they design their network...It may be necessary to explore the possibility of a virtual network within the normal CAN...May be Chrysler does comply with the CAN and OBDII standards, but also may have backdoors hidden to new unimaginable worlds...Only an insider could tell...

I used to play with some industrial driver development tools (Kepware..etc) that allow me to tap, connect and get data from none compatible industrial devices connecting them to an general and industrial networks...this may be helpful in developing tools to automate and decode this information...at the end..the GUI interfaces most of the vendors are offering these days do this already using the ELM327 chips and so on...As you already mention...this cost money and hence it will be hard to share with possible competitors or reverse engineering hackers...

In our JKs, as a Lego, we could do many modifications...why not let the owner have direct and full access to all systems...At the end we pay for any damage anyway...They shall disclaim or release the ECU after warranty period has expired...So we can do whatever we need to do to our JKs...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not yet... it might not be available as an extended PID so the standard tools might not be able to find it, even though the data is available somewhere. Still hoping to find it...
Thread resurrection #3!

I recently picked up what I believed to be the premier tuner and dashboad for the 2015-2018 JK. I installed my SuperChips Trail Dash 2 (TD2) and unlocked ECM / ECU in order to bring just a few more ponies to bear as well as transmission reprogramming on top of the ability to monitor numerous PIDs simultaneously... Imagine my surprize when I discovered almost totally worthless PIDs like HP and TQ and in the list of Missing In Action - Oil Pressure.
Has anyone decoded any other PIDs that could give the ability to monitor Oil Pressure?
I know it has to be there because I can scroll through my vehicle menu on the dash and it does read current Oil Pressure and it is updated quite quickly...

How about a list of all available PIDs for the Wrangler. Does anyone have a link or can post here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am interested to read the odometer of a Jeep Wrangler 2010. I have read that the odometer data is stored in multiple ECUs (like engine, Instrument cluster etc). Anyone has a custom PID ($21 or $22) for this car?

Protocol - ISO15765-4(CAN11/500)

·
Retired Moderator
104,188 Posts
Hi Chad,

Been reading this thread and some of the other stuff you've done must say some very nice work!

Just had a questions about the various busses and the OBD2 port. I don't have a Wrangler but have a 2015 WK2 Grand Cherokee so hoping similar enough.

According to Mopar Connection Repair Kit it looks like the IHS Bus is available on pins 3+11 as well as the C Bus. The pinouts certainly fit what the OBD2 port has wired Imgur

I've just ordered an OBDLink LX (https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lx.html) so I can play around with getting access to some of the PID data (going with tried and tested at this stage). Apparently the OBDLink is based on the ELM327.

My questions:
1. Based on the above is that C Bus likely to be diag or normal?
2. Is that likely to really be an IHS Bus on 3+11?
3. Do I need anything special to read the IHS bus or can I either just build an adapter to cross them into PINs 6+14 and use anything off the shelf that reads/writes ISO15765-4 or plug them into an Arduino CAN-L and CAN-H and read them using pyOBD or canutils?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think I know the OBDII codes to set the tire pressure monitor limit.

This can be done from the DLC connector by the drivers knee.

I think you first have to put it in diagnostic mode:

620 10 92

To write the setting:

620 3b 0d 01 03 24 00 00 yy 00 yy 00 07 00 00 f0 a0

Where yy is the pressure value in hex. So 29 psi would be 1d hex.
It would be a good idea to read the setting before writing. You can read the value before and after with:

620 21 0d

This is specifically on a 2018 JK but I'm guessing it will work on at least 2012 to 2019. I think it will work on the JLs.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts