Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep on my way to work this morning on the Interstate going about 75mph And i blew a Right rear. I have a 2013 JK with the 16s and the Goodyear Wrangler st tires. They only have 13000 miles on them. By the way it felt when it went i dont think i ran over anything it felt like it just blew. Shook the whole Jeep. Its not a fun ride at 5am. It was still dark when i got the tire off and put the spare on so i was not able to see any holes in the tire, so as of right now im not really sure what happened to cause it to go flat. Has anybody else had trouble with these tires before. To be honest i never liked them to begin with. Looks like it might be time to invest in a new set of tires. Has anybody tryed the Cooper Discoverer ATP tires. I think those are the ones i might go with. Figure if i do im going to get 265/75r16s. Since most of my driving is onroad, with little offroading mostly trailrides and fishing, camping spots they look like they might be a good choice. Everybody have a safe day out there Today.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Glad you're okay! :)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Any body's tire can go flat. Did it go bang [blow out] or did it just go flat? did the TPS give you any warning?
Also I am curious how the electronic nanny's [ESC,TCS,Etc ] handled what could have been a real bad situation?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Same thing happened to me at a similar amount of miles on my 2012 going about 80. When it happened it pulled right really hard and put me in the other lane, luckily no one was there. I really dont recall what the vehicle electronics did as I was to busy trying to correct my direction of travel. Those tires that the sports come with are super terrible and I cant believe they use them. Thats why on the new one I had a new set of tire before the jeep got in and had them put them on while I was signing papers.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a bang blowout. As far as the electronics, I was too busy trying not to wreck to feel what it was doing. Sorry I can't be more help but it happened way too fast to pay attention to anything else.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
I do not like the Goodyear Wrangler tires but I sure do love my Goodyear Duratracs. Glad you are o.k. hope you can find a good tire replacement.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Goodyear ST's are some of the worst tires ever made.

Glad you are OK....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a blowout this past weekend on the highway. Super bummed. My tps light went off when the tire lost air. No other electo though. I was in the right hand lane of the highway right before an off ramp. Got lucky because it could have been a lot worse. No puncture in the tire and I still had about 40-50% tread left.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Some jeepers on here claim their tires suck. Some claim their tires blow. Looks like yours blow.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Had a blowout this past weekend on the highway. Super bummed. My tps light went off when the tire lost air. No other electo though. I was in the right hand lane of the highway right before an off ramp. Got lucky because it could have been a lot worse. No puncture in the tire and I still had about 40-50% tread left.
Sidewall blowouts happen when pressures are low and continually driven on. You should have heed the warning from the TPMS and either find a way to re-inflate or change.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
If you've ever taken a Goodyear ST off the wheel and felt the sidewalls with your hands you'd never drive on them ever again. Chrysler should consider themselves lucky that those paper-thin POS tires haven't killed more people. Seriously, the sidwalls are not much thicker than paper. I honestly don't know how they hold air. Look at the reviews on tirerack.com also...the ST is one of the worst rated tires of all time.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Some jeepers on here claim their tires suck. Some claim their tires blow. Looks like yours blow.

Some pull the impossible by sucking and blowing at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts