Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i havent seemd to find much info on how to chop a fulltop to making it a half top.. any of you know a link to where i can find info on doing this?? i like the look of it.. just dont know if its worth the ttouble of cutting up my hardtop and making it into a half. seems kinda expensive to buy one from grt8 and other vendors at the moment.. thanks!

·
Vendor
5,685 Posts
I'd imagine chopping a top up for that would be a lot of fiberglass work. YOu need to join the front part w/ the back part, not just chop off the front. Door surrounds need to be precise, as does the windshield header. You also need to add a tailgate/bulkhead piece since the top won't reach the floor behind your seats.

AND, you need to think about your rollbar. That yellow TJ looks cool, but it either has no rollbar, or it's got a complicated custom one that not only fits under the hardtop but is also strong enough with no diagonal bracings.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
That's a half cab top from Collins Bros., but you can use a CJ8 half cab for a yj, and it would cost less. For a YJ, you would need a CJ rollbar and eliminate the tubes to the windshield completely. Also need a lower bulkhead to close off the back half like a truck bed...just like a CJ8 Scrambler. I know a couple of guys that did it to their CJ7's, it looks kinda weird being so short...a YJ would look short too. I personally would leave it for a CJ8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmmm! i would imagin i would have to cut from where the rear window is and join the back sumwhat.. i sorta still like them.. seems a lil unique.. i might regret it if i cut it up or i might love it.. if i decide to try to cut my top and try to make it work.. ill be sure to take pictures and post them up.. for the mean time.. ill be researchin this a little more! thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The biggest thing with cutting a standard top is that the liftgate is not gonna help you structurally. You will have to glass it solid so it doesn't open and give you more strength.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yea and if you do, go to the link I posted, they sell cab spliters, that fit nicely too. So might want to buy one unless you want to cut yours, but personally I'd just buy it for 1300$ new instead of chopping a 600$ hard top up with possible failure. Then you'd probably buy another top later on and that'd be 1200$ right there, an extra 100 won't hurt :p

·
Registered
226 Posts
i think it would be pretty cool to have a targa top. my dad had a samurai a long time ago. he bought a hard top that had a removable targa. it was fun to ride in...

·
Registered
450 Posts
at 1st i thought you were talking about cutting the section above you off and making it like a targa top.
X2... that was my impression as well. Targa top would be nice for the few nice fall days we get. I put the hardtop on for the winter in early Oct. :( Can't wait for Spring again!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts