Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the title just about says it all. A lot oh 2m ham radios have a speaker output jack on the back. My stereo (res130, the cheapest one) has an input on the front. Can I run the speaker output into that input and listen to the ham radio through my stereo speakers?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Yes and no with a bigger emphasis on no. The input on your stereo is designed for a very low power signal but your ham radio speaker output is by comparison very high power. It would be extremely easy to overpower the stereo's input circuit. Not to mention the stereo input is a high impedance circuit vs. the ham radio's speaker jack being a low impedance output. In other words the ham audio would probably sound distorted through the stereo system speakers if it didn't damage it's input jack circuitry from overdriving it.

Instead I would plug a small low cost communications speaker into the ham radio speaker jack and mount it closer to your ears so you can hear it better.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just start with the 2 meter radio volume really low. Just in case. Typically what you put into the car radio is something that is driving some small headphones. The 2 meter radio is going to typically power an external speaker. I suspect it puts out way more power than you want to put in the car radio. Watts verses mili-Watts. If the volume is turned low the power should be low enough to avoid doing damage to the car radio, speakers or your ears. I should try that on my CB.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes and no with a bigger emphasis on no. The input on your stereo is designed for a very low power signal but your ham radio speaker output is by comparison very high power. It would be extremely easy to overpower the stereo's input circuit. Not to mention the stereo input is a high impedance circuit vs. the ham radio's speaker jack being a low impedance output. In other words the ham audio would probably sound distorted through the stereo system speakers if it didn't damage it's input jack circuitry from overdriving it.

Instead I would plug a small low cost communications speaker into the ham radio speaker jack and mount it closer to your ears so you can hear it better.
Thanks! There's my answer. Why risk my stereo, I'll just pick up a decent specialty speaker.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Thanks! There's my answer. Why risk my stereo, I'll just pick up a decent specialty speaker.
As Jerry mentioned a "communications" speaker. They are different than a radio speaker. Their design has a much narrower frequency response. It is a closer match to voice frequencies. Cuts down on the the hiss which is usually the higher frequencies.

Not as apparent with FM, will be noticable with AM like CB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts