Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do i have to buy an extended brake line? my jeep is on 37s now. thanks in advance for any help :appl:

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Not really. There should be ebough slack in the cables. Remove the hanger from the tub. or re-bend it to gain some slack.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
This is a common problem. There are a number of threads that discuss how to adjust the tension.

It is a PIA to do it and absolutely ridiculous the engineers at Jeep did such a pathetic job on the design. Hopefully they address this nuisance in the JL.

·
Registered
884 Posts
This is a common problem. There are a number of threads that discuss how to adjust the tension. It is a PIA to do it and absolutely ridiculous the engineers at Jeep did such a pathetic job on the design. Hopefully they address this nuisance in the JL.
The handbrake tension is set only to factory weight and factory size tires. Rolling big ol 37's puts an immense strain on the system, where it is still working but is not adjusted for the additional weight. And sometimes the tires are just too big for the factory parking brake, that's why you see big 4x4's parked with blocked wheels.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When your stopped and you pull the hand brake it doesn't hold the vehicle? On flat or uphill/downhill
exactly like I'll be driving and pull the hand brake and I still continue going as if nothing happened lol. And on uphill it doesn't work either.

·
Registered
884 Posts
exactly like I'll be driving and pull the hand brake and I still continue going as if nothing happened lol. And on uphill it doesn't work either.
When o went to larger tires on my TJ I pulled the brake in some dirt while still going straight, nothing happened... Well after I stopped, I put the brake on and tried to drive and yeah the break worked fine. Problem is when you have all the extra rolling mass the factory setting isn't enough to stop them. Even after I adjusted my brake if I'm parked on a steep incline nose down the brake struggles to hold. But when my rear end is pointed down the brake holds just fine.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It is a parking brake that is designed to keep the vehicle from rolling when parked. It is not designed to stop a moving vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts