Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a new TJ owner, first jeep ever, and I am loving it. As its only been a few days I am still learning the ins and outs of my vehicle.

I took it on its first extended ride today and one thing I noticed was that the e-brake is not engaging while my foot is on the brake pedal, even though it's ratcheting and everything. When I take my foot off the brake pedal, then disengage and reengage the handbrake everything is fine and it seems to engage properly. It surprised me a little to say the least. Now at the risk of sounding silly but is it supposed to be this way or is this something to be looked at? Is it one of those "jeep things" that is meant to be this way? After doing a search on the forums I couldn't seem to find a clear answer to this, I guess this is somewhat of an indication that something is out of order?

Thanks in advance!

Squidbilly

·
Registered
201 Posts
The e brake on these jeeps activates the rear brakes. There is no separate e brake. Therefore, If you have the brakes applied and pull the e brake, it should simply hold the rear brakes on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha thank you for this information matt88-8! It seems in my case, while situated on a slight decline, the e-brake did not lock the rear wheels when I engaged it while holding the foot brake. When I let go of the foot brake the car started rolling, even though I had pulled the e-brake all the way up. I then disengaged and reengaged the e-brake (now with my foot off the foot brake petal) and the car stopped rolling. Would you say this is normal?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I would say it's time to adjust your rear brake shoes. If the parking brake won't hold the Jeep on a slight incline you need to adjust the rear shoes. If further adjustment is needed then adjust the parking brake cable.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Depends on the year of Jeep and if he has rear disc brakes or not. Rear disc brakes has an inner e brake inside the rear rotor and can be activated separately from the calipers.

What year Jeep do you have and are they drum or disc brakes?

When you do adjust the e-brake cable they are notorious for breaking since they get corroded pretty badly. Spray them for several days with PB blaster to help get them adjusted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help! It's a 2005 Rubicon. I'm unable to take a closer look right now but I'm pretty sure they are disc brakes. Will see if I notice any corrosion when I get home and see if anything needs to be done to the brake shoes or the cable.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You have the same disc brakes that I have. The brake pads are inside the rotor and are a bit tricky to get at, but they are adjustable using the cable adjuster under the floor of the jeep just in front of the axle housing. There should be some write ups on how to adjust them on you tube. You might want to take of the rotors and see what kind of shape they are in. They are not very thick stock.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it! Looks like the rear brakes are about 3/4 worn. Front ones are about 2/3 worn. Probably has something to do with this. I'll get new ones, then do the adjustment.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You need to look at the inner ebrake pads. They are different from the ones on the rear discs. You can only see them once you remove the rotor. They ride inside the rotor and that's what makes your rear ebrake work.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
You have the same disc brakes that I have. The brake pads are inside the rotor and are a bit tricky to get at, but they are adjustable using the cable adjuster under the floor of the jeep just in front of the axle housing. There should be some write ups on how to adjust them on you tube. You might want to take of the rotors and see what kind of shape they are in. They are not very thick stock.
For future reference, the cable adjuster under the floor should only be used to remove the slack in the cables AFTER the small parking brake shoes are adjusted with the star adjusters at each backing plate.

They are not very thick stock because they are not service brakes. They typically see very little to almost no wear because they rarely get pressed into service against a turning drum. The rig is stopped when they are applied which does not impart any wear.

They do get worn when you forget and drive off with them applied though and that would be a great time to check and re-adjust them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts