Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of all of the mall crawler comments to come and like to throw some street handling ideas out there...

I'm weighing out a couple of options and wondering if anyone has looked had experiences here before. Here's the run down...

Looking to increase road stability...

What I have...
2015 JKU. RK2.5 coils, RK front trackbar, Terraflex rear upper and lower sport arms, AEV front geo brackets, synergy high steer/ drag link flipped, 18x9 rims, 35" Nitto all terrains (30 psi cold). Rancho 9000XL shocks. Fox ATS... And some other things that probably don't matter...

I'm DDing my ride and the fact that I can drive it anywhere on or off road is why I love the beast.

I've found a certain unpredictable element to the 35's with higher speeds and uneven roads. It's only made my butt pucker at 75+ speeds if I have wind in the mix. I'd like to eliminate this factor.

What I'm considering....

1. Shock Upgrade. Fox or King adjustable

2. Go to 20x10 rims with 35" Nitto Trail terrain.

I've actually swapped to the tire package option with a buddy and it gave the results I was after for the most part. My handling seemed to not be effected by wind or crappy roads ( it was however rougher).

Has anyone ever went with a high end shock and resolved handling characteristics that go with bigger sidewalls or does that just not work?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
At the risk of all of the mall crawler comments to come and like to throw some street handling ideas out there...

I'm weighing out a couple of options and wondering if anyone has looked had experiences here before. Here's the run down...

Looking to increase road stability...

What I have...
2015 JKU. RK2.5 coils, RK front trackbar, Terraflex rear upper and lower sport arms, AEV front geo brackets, synergy high steer/ drag link flipped, 18x9 rims, 35" Nitto all terrains (30 psi cold). Rancho 9000XL shocks. Fox ATS... And some other things that probably don't matter...

I'm DDing my ride and the fact that I can drive it anywhere on or off road is why I love the beast.

I've found a certain unpredictable element to the 35's with higher speeds and uneven roads. It's only made my butt pucker at 75+ speeds if I have wind in the mix. I'd like to eliminate this factor.

What I'm considering....

1. Shock Upgrade. Fox or King adjustable

2. Go to 20x10 rims with 35" Nitto Trail terrain.

I've actually swapped to the tire package option with a buddy and it gave the results I was after for the most part. My handling seemed to not be effected by wind or crappy roads ( it was however rougher).

Has anyone ever went with a high end shock and resolved handling characteristics that go with bigger sidewalls or does that just not work?
What do you have the shocks and ATS set at? Are those RK coils progressive? I'm surprised the tire/rim changed made that much of a positive difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought my coils locally before much research but it was during the triple rate change over. I sent north ridge pics and they say they are Triple rates. I'm not 100% sure though. They do still bow some even with coil correction wedges.

ATS is set around 18. The thing controls the heck out of the issue, but you can still tell its there.

I know my front axel is over corrected by a 1/2" as well. Don't know if much is being effected there.

The two two days with the 20's was like going from a box truck to a sporty suv ride ( similar to my wife's Mazda CX-5. Less sludgy and more responsive at higher speeds and in acceleration . Still had a little steering wheel turning when stopping hard but I think that might be the track bar up front.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I bought my coils locally before much research but it was during the triple rate change over. I sent north ridge pics and they say they are Triple rates. I'm not 100% sure though. They do still bow some even with coil correction wedges.

ATS is set around 18. The thing controls the heck out of the issue, but you can still tell its there.

I know my front axel is over corrected by a 1/2" as well. Don't know if much is being effected there.

The two two days with the 20's was like going from a box truck to a sporty suv ride ( similar to my wife's Mazda CX-5. Less sludgy and more responsive at higher speeds and in acceleration . Still had a little steering wheel turning when stopping hard but I think that might be the track bar up front.
I have a 2 door with stock springs no lift. ATS set at 15, 9000xl's set six in front seven in rear. 33" a/t tires and 20x9 wheels. I run the attenuator also, but not an option I believe with your setup. If your coils are tighter "closer together" on one end of spring those are progressive, I believe it's only the Rk and the aev that have that option. Crank the shocks up to eight or nine all the way around and see what that does for you. I found that the 9000xl's when they get hot got squirrely on the highway when set soft. I was running settings of two then three and had a really bad highway run one weekend. Now set firmer they seem ok , but haven't pushed them, like that again. "1100 miles" Easy to do.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. I know they can fade for sure. Thanks for the thought. I'll give it a go

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For sure. Not thinking it will or even wanting it to. I don't think there is anything wrong necessarily and realize I'm seeking to improve something that I screwed up by lifting it. I have seen improvements though and since Offroad is a secondary purpose of my vehicle I'm going to look to make that the best it can with the mods I have.

·
Super Moderator
14,548 Posts
I actually had mine at 80 this weekend towing a trailer.... :jawdrop: Even then, it's a one finger driver.

But that's the thing, every Jeep is different and even the exact same lift, shocks, etc on one Jeep can feel completely different on another Jeep... I have experienced that.

I don't think the axle shift would have anything to do with it, but your toe in might. Do you have an alignment sheet?

·
Registered
148 Posts
In your description you do not lost any front lower control arms or drop brackets. If the LCA are still stock this is your problem.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I drove for a few months at 9 on my 9000 shocks. The ride on the highway seems more predictable, but any rough patches beat the snot out of you. I went offroading last weekend, so I put the shocks down to 3. I haven't turned them up yet, but I have noticed once again how squirrely the jeep drives on bumpy and wet roads with the axles springing around all the time. I think I'm going back to 6 or 7 on the road.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
I have Rancho RS7000MT's on mine. They're pretty stiff, but the thing is nice on highway. I don't drive over 70 though...and if it's windy it sucks to drive. It sucked before the lift, and really does now afterward lol. 70 and below keeps is nice though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ranchos do the job for sure. I have as well found they are either stiff or sloppy through. The settings in between are just a combination of the two. Do higher end shocks give you stability combined with compression for rough places on and off road? Looking in the direction of a Terraflex tuned fox shock, adjustable reservoir fox or the adjustable king bolt on...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Interesting, I replaced a CX-5 with the Jeep. I feel like the jeep is more responsive even with 3.21 gears. The CX-5 wasn't fun in the wind either. Sure its more aerodynamic but it did have 8 inches of ground clearance so it does catch the wind too. I think the only way to avoid having the wind affect your ride is to drive a car.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Ranchos do the job for sure. I have as well found they are either stiff or sloppy through. The settings in between are just a combination of the two. Do higher end shocks give you stability combined with compression for rough places on and off road? Looking in the direction of a Terraflex tuned fox shock, adjustable reservoir fox or the adjustable king bolt on...
Thats where the 5000x shine. I agree its give and take with the 9000's. The 5000's are valved for better performance.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I was re-thinking and maybe just the wider rim of your buddies set of rim/tires made the difference after all. Less squirming of the rubber for sure with 10" wide rims. I would like to get some progressive springs, but without lifting my rig any. Need to do some more research on it, maybe eibach has something in their parts bin. Just took mine 70 miles down the highway this morning at 65 to 70 and it rained pretty hard and it was a comfortable uneventful ride. Wind is a culprit. I think that wheel tuning when you stop is just the large tire/wheel, Doubt you can do much with that. I like tweaking mine to for optimum performance, I love driving it, and don't want to leave it home because I will become fatigued. Mine is on road 99% of the time, but need the performance in crummy weather, plus my wife and two kids drive it so I want it to be easy to handle.

·
Super Moderator
14,548 Posts
Take a look at the BDS tuned Fox shocks if you are going in that direction.

Thats where the 5000x shine. I agree its give and take with the 9000's. The 5000's are valved for better performance.
YES! We are totally on the same page. The 5000X will never be as plush as a 9000XL, but it is much more controlled. And they still takes big hits way better...

·
Registered
837 Posts
I run 35x12.5s on 15" rims. The first largest change with wandering was dropping pressure from 37 to 27psi. For around town and short trips I run 25 all around and it feels amazing. Very planted. On long road trips I do bump up to 35 for mpg.

The next biggest changr was when i put a Mopar 3" lift for a four door on my two door.

I got to say it drives better....wayyyy better than it did stock with no lift and 35s. It doesn't wander nowhere near as much. I love it. Makes me respect a well thought out lift. Oh and it's damn near 4.5"+ of lift.

It rides like stock but slightly firmer but the wandering and constant correction in the wheel is gone.

It comes with longer lower front arms to get some caster correction. Other than that it's some good coils and fox reservoir shocks. My lift was used and still feels amazing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts