Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Creeper
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just installed new Terra Graplers on 18" rims. Man, I gotta say, what a significant deterioration in handling from stock ride!

I chose these tires because I wanted better traction and handling all around. I am having some afterthoughts now...

These tires seem to wander a lot! The guys at the alignment shop tell me that the wider you go on the front tires, the more you become susceptable to this behavior. The reason being is that the wider the tire, the more it will fillow the groves on the road. And these tires are 13" wide. Also, they have a square shape, as opposed to more rounded shapes that I have seen. Take a look at this picture of the new tire compared to the stock tires.

Has anyone else had experience with this situation?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Did you get adjustable front lower control arms with that lift? :whistling:

·
Creeper
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get adjustable front lower control arms with that lift? :whistling:
Yes sir, adjustable lower and upper control arms front to back!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
nycdude777 said:
Yes sir, adjustable lower and upper control arms front to back!
The reason I ask is because 35s shouldn't wander. And it therefore sounds to me like something is wrong. Flighty handling after a lift is often times the result of needing adjustable front LCAs or needing them properly sized. I'm not buying the "Oh this is just how it is" thing. Was the lift installed at the same time as the tires? What brand/size lift?

·
Creeper
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I ask is because 35s shouldn't wander. And it therefore sounds to me like something is wrong. Flighty handling after a lift is often times the result of needing adjustable front LCAs or needing them properly sized. I'm not buying the "Oh this is just how it is" thing. Was the lift installed at the same time as the tires? What brand/size lift?
"Oh this is just how it is" is exactly what they told me at the alignment shop! LOL I don't think these guys know what they are doing. I am looking for a shop that;s specializing in true 4 wheel alignment.

I have 4" Long Arm Skyjacker lift. All done about the same time.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
I see you went from a MT to a AT.. I take it you were looking to gain on road traction? Cause if you were looking to gain offroad traction you actually lost some

·
Creeper
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see you went from a MT to a AT.. I take it you were looking to gain on road traction? Cause if you were looking to gain offroad traction you actually lost some
On road, I wanted better snow and ice traction.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
ah gotch ya.. then nice tire choice.. when talking AT's i don't bring them up much but they are a solid all around tire.. even though your handling has seem to detererate hope the tires work out well for ya

·
Registered
315 Posts
On road, I wanted better snow and ice traction.
Ive got those exact tires on my 08' F-150 and they dont wander at all, but I will tell you they suck in the snow and ice on road. I dont run them in the winter now, toyo MT's for the snow.
I agree with the others, something haywire with the lift install or alignment on your rig.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
"Oh this is just how it is" is exactly what they told me at the alignment shop! LOL I don't think these guys know what they are doing. I am looking for a shop that;s specializing in true 4 wheel alignment.
Gotta do this, man. Call it tough love, call me an a**hole, whatever. Ready?

This is a thread you started three days before Christmas:

Skyjacker Lift kits? Are they good?

Despite what some people posted, I don't believe they are good. I think they're crap. That's why you don't find a lot of people on this forum, or any Jeep forum, using them. There are folks who will disregard advice and buy something because that's what they wanna do...if you're one of them, then why ask for advice in the first place?

Terra Grapplers on 18" rims? Really? Are we talking stock rims, here? Even if we're not, what you've bought is entirely for show. I'm not gonna trash that...there are plenty of folks on this forum who mod their Jeeps with no intention of ever venturing off-road. But simply from reading this post and your previous post about lifts (and yes, even a few of your earlier posts), I can tell that you're buying things for your Jeep completely on impulse, rather than for practicality. You want a Jeep that "looks" bad. And there's nothing wrong with that, other than the fact that you've gone way overboard, and bought a lift that's ridiculously high and wheels that are too big for what your Jeep really is...which is a means of transportation.

MTH said, "I'm not buying the "Oh this is just how it is" thing." I'm not, either. You've got issues with your Jeep, most likely due to suspension and wheel choice.

You responded "Oh this is just how it is" is exactly what they told me at the alignment shop! LOL I don't think these guys know what they are doing. I am looking for a shop that;s specializing in true 4 wheel alignment."

Man, pick up the clue phone! You can't just throw pieces together and expect them to work in any kind of coherent harmony. You've spent your $$ irresponsibly...but it's YOUR money.

What ticks me off the most, I think, is that there are a lot of people on this forum who come here for advice on how to mod their Jeeps, and you're setting a bad example for them.

Study. Research. Buy. Install.

There is no substitute.

Too harsh? Here: :flowers:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Check your tire pressure, chances are the tire place filled them to 40psi.
Running too much pressure will cause you to wander all over the place

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Check your tire pressure, chances are the tire place filled them to 40psi.
Running too much pressure will cause you to wander all over the place
lol...yeah, that too. :D

Thanks tampa...

·
Registered
163 Posts
kbbwwolf, just want to say - thanks for your reply. I'm impatiently sitting here in Afghanistan, knowing I've got a new Wrangler waiting for me stateside. My first one. And browsing this forum, Quadratec, Mopar & other websites, I'm drooling - and trying so hard to NOT impulse buy stuff for my Jeep. I'm spending most of my free time reading up on all the different options & considerations that are out there - and, in the back of my mind, this thought always works its way through: Wait. Get back home. Drive the Jeep around. Meet up with some other Jeep'ers. Weigh the options. Determine as best I can how I'll be driving my ride most of the time as well as some of the time (80% street / 20% off-road mild trails or 70% street, 20% mile, 10% wild, etc etc).
I've pulled the trigger on a couple of minor things - but I'm holding off.

I've seen many posts like the OP's where folks get things & then wonder why this isn't this way or that way - comparing them to other people who have different set ups. The last thing I want to do is throw time & money down the drain. I want to get it right the first time, or at least get it darn close to right the first time.

I'm a bit fortunate in that I'm now a seasoned & experienced Harley owner; so I know about buying crap for a vehicle. I can online order to my hearts content in that arena. But with Jeeps - it's all brand new. So I need to be patient. My Jeep will last & wait for me to "grow up" ;) OP may or may not care for all you said - but for folks like me - this thread & replies like yours are a huge benefit.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
kbbwwolf, just want to say - thanks for your reply. I'm impatiently sitting here in Afghanistan, knowing I've got a new Wrangler waiting for me stateside. My first one. And browsing this forum, Quadratec, Mopar & other websites, I'm drooling - and trying so hard to NOT impulse buy stuff for my Jeep. I'm spending most of my free time reading up on all the different options & considerations that are out there - and, in the back of my mind, this thought always works its way through: Wait. Get back home. Drive the Jeep around. Meet up with some other Jeep'ers. Weigh the options. Determine as best I can how I'll be driving my ride most of the time as well as some of the time (80% street / 20% off-road mild trails or 70% street, 20% mile, 10% wild, etc etc).
I've pulled the trigger on a couple of minor things - but I'm holding off.

You're so far ahead of the game that I'm not quite sure how to express it. :thumb:

I've seen many posts like the OP's where folks get things & then wonder why this isn't this way or that way - comparing them to other people who have different set ups. The last thing I want to do is throw time & money down the drain. I want to get it right the first time, or at least get it darn close to right the first time.

I'm a bit fortunate in that I'm now a seasoned & experienced Harley owner; so I know about buying crap for a vehicle. I can online order to my hearts content in that arena. But with Jeeps - it's all brand new. So I need to be patient. My Jeep will last & wait for me to "grow up" ;) OP may or may not care for all you said - but for folks like me - this thread & replies like yours are a huge benefit.
Man, that's high praise. I'm humbled. Thank you.

People like you are why I post. That's not some bullshit sentiment...it's a reality. I SEARCH for people like you. This forum was instrumental in how I built my Jeep, and I feel an obligation to help others the way this forum helped me.

Research is all. Unfortunately, a lot of folks pay lip service to it...they don't wanna sweat, not realizing that a little sweat before you open your wallet can save a lot of pain later on.

Probably oughta not get started, there. :D

I'm a motorcycle guy, too. Haven't been without one, except for an interminable 3-year stretch, since I was 16 (7, if you count dirt bikes). It's very similar: one wrong part, and you're essentially f*^#ed. Simple automotive reality, it would seem.

One of the reasons I have little tolerance for the OP. He's been here before, and has gotten good advice. There's no excuse (in my mind) for him not knowing what's what, when it comes to Jeeps. Impulsiveness is no excuse for stupidity.

My advice: Come home, drive your stock Jeep, and then buy what you need or want to make it yours. Your Jeep experience will be incredibly better for it.

Always glad to help, if I can. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
BTW...what color? 2-dr, 4-dr?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the same problem with wandering, i would assume that your caster needs to be increased to 6 degree and tire pressure lowered to 30-32 cold. I only have 4.1 caster as of now but it improved handling 100%. Will be correcting mine soon enuf. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I ask because I'm curious if you got to drive it with the lift installed but with the stock wheels/tires. That would help tell you if the wandering is the result of the wheels/tires or the lift install. I do think that--as somebody mentioned above--tire overinflation is another good possibility.

If tire overinflation isn't the culprit, then it would appear your lift is either mis-sized or poorly installed. I'd tend to look to the lower front control arms, but so much geometry is altered going with 4" of lift that you may really need somebody who's thoroughly versed in the area to spend some time with the Jeep trouble shooting.

Personally, I would say that Skyjacker is generally considered an entry/moderate level lift company. That's fine of course and there's room in the market for that, but one should be careful going for the "high end" stuff of an "entry level" company. I'd be more comfortable with Skyjacker if I was looking at 2.5" of lift and below.

But you are where you are now. If letting some air out of the tires doesn't cut it, you may end up needing to travel out of the city to find a good 4x4 shop that can dump some hours into your rig along with some replacement parts trying to fix the problem. It's going to cost you some cash of course, which likely would have been better spent on the front end with a different lift kit.

But you can make it work--there is an answer, you've just got to find it. 35s with a properly sized and installed lift will not wander. Many on this forum have that set up, and have absolutely no problems.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Thanks for doing what I shoulda done.

Momentarily overwhelmed by passion. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Who cares hes a mall crawler, let him enjoy the crappy ride! Most of us advised him against buying skycrapper and he bought it any way. Allow him to reap what he has sown.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts