Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Commercial Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow Jeepers!

I've started making wood shift knobs for manual transmission Jeep's. I find my materials in the North Idaho forests, and hand finish them. Each one is different, no two are the same. This is an after-work hobby for me, so depending on the materials I find, I'll only be able to make a handful of these knobs a month. They don't get extremely hot or cold like aftermarket metal knobs do.

They are finished with a UV-safe clearcoat, and metal nut epoxied into the bottom so it will thread nicely onto the shift stick. Jam nut included with each knob.

$25 each shipped in the lower 48. (PM me for shipping quote if you are in AK, HI, or Canada) PM me with knob # you are interested in and I'll send you my paypal info.

Since these are natural, they are not turned down to a consistent size/shape. I try to keep the natural beauty of the piece of wood (burls, knots, cracks & colors). If you are not happy with the knob, doesn't fit your hand etc, PM me and I'll refund you once I have the knob returned in new condition. I'll try to take a short video of each knob.

That being said, if you are looking for perfectly shaped shift knobs, please check out Big Sarge's pool ball shifters, they are very cool.

Knob #1 - Not for sale (it's in my Jeep)

Knob #2 - Sold! Thanks

Knob #3 - Sold! Thanks!

More to come. Let me know if anyone is interested in different thread (YJ etc), different colors or shapes (thinking a t-handle style might be cool?)

Thanks for looking
Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
These look great! Love that your keeping some of the natural shape. All of my money is going into the wife's car but as soon as it's taken care of you have a customer here. Awesome work!

·
Commercial Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments guys. milkman11, feel free to PM me if you want any pointers. They are not "difficult" to make, but they are time consuming.
I also put these on Etsy, in case people are more comfortable paying with a credit card.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomWoodShiftKnobs

·
Commercial Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'd rather play catch-up than have my wife give me weird looks because I have a pile of shift knobs sitting around;)

$30 shipped, $5 off if you drill/thread yourself. Tough crowd;)

Almost have the next one done. Going to try a pistol grip style next.

Thanks

·
Commercial Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Attachments

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Awesome Work! I really like the natural/wood finish. I never liked the ball shape on a shifter, but #2 and #5 seem like the right shape to fit your hand. The pistol grip sounds pretty cool too!

My Jeep budget is shot for the month but I'm subscribed! I may need to get one of these for my JKU in the near future!

·
Commercial Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome Work! I really like the natural/wood finish. I never liked the ball shape on a shifter, but #2 and #5 seem like the right shape to fit your hand. The pistol grip sounds pretty cool too!

My Jeep budget is shot for the month but I'm subscribed! I may need to get one of these for my JKU in the near future!
Thanks for the comment!

Yes, #2 with the burl facing forward fits in the hand very comfortably, and #5 sideways almost like a t-handle.

I don't have access to a JK, from what I understand they are not threaded. I think the factory knob has a clip of some sort, so an aftermarket knob might simply press fit on, or some type of set screw.

I would sell them undrilled for cheaper if someone wants to experiment themselves.

·
Commercial Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Attachments

1 - 20 of 117 Posts