Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
93 yj, 4.0. just finished an axle swap to waggy 44's Detroit locker in rear and lunchbox in front. due to clearance issues I had to remove track bar and sway bar. bump steer is horrible now. I fabbed up a steering stabilizer mount and installed new shock and not to much difference at this point. Am I going to have to fab a new track bar to keep this buggy from trying to launch off the road at every bump or am I missing something? I realize locking up all the way around changes the characteristics and drivability as my 79 cj is also locked but acts nothing like this yj. any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
How are your leaf springs? Without the trac bars and sway bar, the leaf springs are the only thing holding the axles in place to keep it from moving any way except up and down. Check to verify the bolts are tightened.

Also, something I experience with my sway bar disconnected, drag link roll. reno92 was the one who explained to me that your drag link can roll and cause the steering wheel to change alignment.

When you hit bumps, do you grip the wheel tightly? Sometimes the Jeep will fix itself and drive itself...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the leafs are new. 4'' sua. I completely re did all the steering components during the axle swap too. Everything is heim joints now. fabbed up new tie rod, draglink and had to install straight pitman with the high steer knuckles. hence having to remove other components.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Since your steering is nowhere near stock, can you send a picture of it? You might have an issue in the geometry but it's hard to tell without it being stock.

Are the lockers stuck in full spool? Or can you tell that they're open?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:beerdrinking:I'll take a couple pics this evening when I get to the house. As for the lockers, The front is a lockrite and the rear is a Detroit. so for the most part Im going to say pretty much spooled. Thank you for replying too.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Lunchbox lockers are open then full spool, so I'm trying to get at if they are stuck in spool and not open. If you notice the Jeep kicking around after hitting a bump, you'd likely notice the differential(s) locking up on turns.

Anyway, while you're down there, try to rotate any drag links or tie rods you have, and see if you can get the steering to move while the wheel is locked. Might be easier up on jack stands.

Steering components aren't too difficult to check, because they are obvious when they go bad (except for the steering box). Speaking of, you may have a weak frame around the box or a bad box.

When I disconnect my sway bar, I get drag link roll, and the Jeep wanders around in my lane, and sometimes turns are super sharp or super wide. I don't have anything to say about my trac bars yet, but I'm sure those will get tossed if they don't fit my lift. Most guys here ditch them first day with the Jeep. I say keep them until you have an issue or reason to ditch them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts