Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some folks think this look great but I just think "wow, even a couple dirt bikes hang way out."

Note the camera angle so you can't really tell how far out those wheels are sticking.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not really unusual with a short bed compact truck. Similar with Tacomas, Colorado's, etc. Even in my full size with the second largest bed some bikes won't let me close the tailgate. A YZ450 is over 7' wheel end to wheel end.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unless they make a 6 foot bed version, extended cab, I wouldn't buy it.

But if they ever do, I would consider it. Would like to have it with the 3.6 Penistar Wranger engine.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I see many things floating around the internet talking about the brake over angle and rear overhang. If the brake over angle and rear overhang is the top concern, then maybe a pick-up isn't what you need. Get a 2 or even a 4 door. If your hauling, say motorcycles, to a wheeling spot this will do the trick. Then you will probably be riding the bikes and not wheeling the jeep. Don't think Jeep envisioned wheeling the Gladiator with bikes in the back around Moab. Generally speaking:

2 doors = nimble compact maneuverability
4 door = more family friendly
5' pick up bed = ability to haul stuff
Each model Jeep has designed with its pros & cons. It is up to the customer to deiced which fits his needs the best.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I really don't understand why they didn't move the rear axle back about 6"-8" or so. It would help the aesthetics (for me, anyhow), increase the rear angle and possibly the towing capability. Having the rear fender flare overlap the cab is just silly, too. But then, I'm not an engineer, so who knows. I just think it could have been better.

Reactions: mattyw

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I really don't understand why they didn't move the rear axle back about 6"-8" or so. It would help the aesthetics (for me, anyhow), increase the rear angle and possibly the towing capability. Having the rear fender flare overlap the cab is just silly, too. But then, I'm not an engineer, so who knows. I just think it could have been better.
There are trade-offs. Move the axle back and reduce the turning radius and decrease the break over. To me the answer would be a 2 door Gladiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
With 4 doors and a bed that long, the entire chassis is a compromise.

With a truck that long, you can have good approach and departure angles but then you're stuck with a horrible breakover angle and you're going to drag your belly and get high centered way too easily.

Shorten up the wheelbase to improve the breakover angle and you end up with either a bad departure angle, approach angle, or both.

I would say that the wheelbase on the JT is probably a decent compromise. It's longer between the wheels than a JL, which was already decently long. And they have room for a 35" spare tire behind the axle, which I'm sure a lot of people will take advantage of. You still get the good approach angle. The rest of the compromise is split pretty evenly between the breakover and departure angles.

If you take it off road, even after you lift it and put bigger tires on, you're still going to be dragging the butt here and there depending on the trail compared to a JLU. And you're still going to be scraping the belly as well. It's just the nature of a long vehicle. There's only so much you can do about it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
IMO they made the cab too big and the bed seems to be an after thought. When I look at this bed, I think Honda Ridgeline. The depth of the bed seems shallow also, not very deep. Just my opinion. I still like it, and will need to see one in person before a final verdict.

·
Registered
251 Posts
To someone who said the bed was not deep enough. I think on American pickups we should change the pickup bed and get rid of the sides. Flat bed with fold down sides- they fold down to the outside. This allows you to load items easily from either side or the back of the truck. Or load and unlaid with a fork lift. I saw trucks like this in Europe and Asia decades ago but it has never crossed a pond.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
They made the bed shallow on purpose. So side access would be easier.
That's one thing I like about my J10. Even with a 4" lift and 35's I can reach over the side of the bed. Modern trucks just look weird with such tall bed sides.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I see many things floating around the internet talking about the brake over angle and rear overhang. If the brake over angle and rear overhang is the top concern, then maybe a pick-up isn't what you need. Get a 2 or even a 4 door. If your hauling, say motorcycles, to a wheeling spot this will do the trick. Then you will probably be riding the bikes and not wheeling the jeep. Don't think Jeep envisioned wheeling the Gladiator with bikes in the back around Moab. Generally speaking:

2 doors = nimble compact maneuverability
4 door = more family friendly
5' pick up bed = ability to haul stuff
Each model Jeep has designed with its pros & cons. It is up to the customer to deiced which fits his needs the best.
EXACTLY!!! I like the Gladiator and if I wanted to haul bikes with it, I'd use a trailer. If you want an extended cab and a longer box, buy a different truck that will do the job for you. If every automobile manufacturer made their vehicles all the same way, it'd be pretty damn boring out on the roads, mountains and trails.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'd be ok with the bed size if the rest of it wasn't so long. Not a compact truck and not a full size, seems lost to me

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
Here is a shot from today. Not bad, the Ranger is the same bed length.

Can one even legally drive with the tailgate down? I ask because if you do that, you are covering over the rear license plate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts