Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Safety Recall on 3 ton & 6 ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands - Pittsburgh Automotive.
Item #s 56371, 61196, 61197 These Item #s can be found on the label on the top of the 3 ton stand (56371) and the Yellow Label on the base of 6 ton stand (61196 & 61197).
Says follow the lifting of any applicable "Shelter at Home Orders" bring to local Harbor Freight Tools Store to receive a Harbor Freight Tools Gift Card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased (plus applicable tax).
More Info email: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
I've read up on this and it is scary stuff for sure. I have not purchased Harbor Freight jack stands, but I have 6 ton ones that I plan on checking when I get home next week. I believe the casting of the detents is near perfect on mine and very deep, but I want to double check. From some pictures I've seen I cannot believe someone would use them looking like they do.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I personally don’t use the ratcheting type, they make me nervous. - I use the 22 ton pin type.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I have the OTC and AME stands. I figure I need the 22 ton to compensate for the Chinese manufacturing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I use 6 ton Torin jack stands which are pretty well made. Having said that I leave the floor jack under whenever that's possible. Also block up the understand with some 6 x 6 I keep to make double sure! Yea I know it's overkill and paranoid but I lost a good friend years back when he was killed under his pickup truck. You really can't be to safe when working under a vehicle without the tires on imo. I would NEVER EVER totally only trust jack stands as my only insurance between living and dying...........

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked mine I have what were labeled 3 Ton with the 61196 Item number... I will be returning ASAP.. Fortunately I have some PIN type available.. I always put additional stops underneath - usually the wheel and tire that was removed.
Cannot be to safe, have known many colleagues that were lucky and avoided injury when "it" fell off the jack.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Many are rated by the pair (read the fine print). A 3 ton if rated by the pair and have all 4 wheels off the ground that’s not that big of a safety margin. I would go minimum of 4X safety margin to account for manufacturing variability and lack of good quality control on many of the cheapee products.

·
Registered
439 Posts
LOL @cthusker that is exactly why I called HF after seeing this message. They said just bring them in and you get a gift card.

I have a couple mods not shown yet! Small but still fun for me (Rhino Rack) and getting the bumper painted. I think after that I am done, unless I do some decals/stickers etc. I know that I will still need the Jack stands for all the other repairs to come. Heading out to the Off-road park now.

·
Premium Member
3,540 Posts

All joking aside,
For sure not something to mess around with. You just never know when or if something might happen, even with other brands it’s always a possibility. And that’s a shame.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I'm still using my OLD Walker floor jack and jack stands from the 80's

·
Registered
439 Posts
@jdinny Your still using them because your still alive and did not purchase HF.

5 or so years ago I said I would never shop at HF as they make cheap tools and you get what you pay for (I laughed at my neighbor for all the crappy tools he bought). I use to always buy Craftsman or or at least a Lowes/Home Depot Brand.

Fast forward 5 years, I buy my first Wrangler and now I shop at HF every week...however I am beginning to go back to my old ways of buying quality for long term usage.

·
Super Moderator
22,455 Posts
mine do not have the right part number but they sure look the same. I think I have been underneath a jeep held up by these 100X's over the years yikes.
93A54A8C-E8D6-40EE-B72B-7BDAD9FEA3CD.jpeg

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
@jdinny Your still using them because your still alive and did not purchase HF.

5 or so years ago I said I would never shop at HF as they make cheap tools and you get what you pay for (I laughed at my neighbor for all the crappy tools he bought). I use to always buy Craftsman or or at least a Lowes/Home Depot Brand.

Fast forward 5 years, I buy my first Wrangler and now I shop at HF every week...however I am beginning to go back to my old ways of buying quality for long term usage.
HF stuff isn't as bad as eveyone makes out.
I have tons of Snap-n, Mac, and Matco tools from the "old days" when i used them frequently.
Today, if I need something for light use, and HF has it, I'm there.
My beloved Walker( all American) jacks and stands, were bought out in the late '80's by Lincoln(American), but, in the late 90's, moved their production to the country of the Wuhan flu, yup, and in 2003, sold it to SHINN FU, and around '04, brought back HEIN-WERNER name, and began making them in the states. That said, they are not the prestigious American HEIN-WERNER's from the 40's thru 90's, but they ARE American made Lincolns from the 90's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank you so much for the heads up on this. Just checked my Harbor Freight 6 ton Pittsburgh jack stands. Luckily mine are not recalled. Got about 6 months ago.

This is a big reason why I am active on WF. Jeep folks looking out for each other and sharing information/experience. I would have never known about this recall had you not shared it.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,828 Posts
HF owns Pittsburgh, Earthquake, Bauer, Drill Master, etc, etc. Better than 90% of all products at HF are owned by HF.

These stands have two different part numbers. Some of them have one part number on the box and different oen on the bottom of the tag near the foot. There are a plenty of parts that have multiple part numbers. Sometimes as many as 10 part numbers, but each one correlates back to the same product. The difference comes from WHO manufactured that particular product and when. So say company X (in China of course) makes a 1/2" socket, in 2016, part number 32991. When you look at the packaging, there may be as many as 10 numbers. Always 4 or 5 number sequence. Now that same 1/2" socket is manufactured by Company Y in 2015 and has a number of 45911. Different manufacturer, same 1/2" socket.

Here is an example of that with their Central Pneumatic unit. 4 part numbers listed under "skews" in the detail section:

The jacks stands in question were manufactured earlier this year. January I think. Anything older is not an issue. Here is a good visual of why these are being recalled. Welding always sucks at HF, but look at the lack of depth of the teeth on these!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I took my 6 ton pair into HF, they did a credit including tax collected on my CC, picked up another pair for about $4.00 difference. They are heavy suckers. Make sure you bend in the tab, only noticed that a few years ago.
I used to support the lift of my truck yesterday for some differential service, careful to keep floor jack tight under the axle and wood under the tires to augment the jack stands. When I was younger, was not nearly as safe nowadays.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts