Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I just picked up a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited with about 19K in Miles. I noticed that the brake pedal is a little tough to push down after going down about 25 percent. Is that normal. Should I be able to push them to the floor as easy as other cars / vehicles?

Trying to figure out if there is an issue, and if so, what the issue could be. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

·
Premium Member
8,325 Posts
I would say that is fairly normal. Pushing any brake pedal "to the floor" is not normal. Granted some vehicles have more travel than others, and the Jeep pedals are a little higher from the floor than cars are. They are more typical of trucks in that regard.

Out of curiosity, I went out and tried my '17. With the engine not running it would only depress a few inches. With the engine running it depress a bit more but not a whole lot. I could put my left foot under the pedal and pressing on the brake pedal as hard as I could, it would not touch my foot underneath it.

Part of it is that the floorboard (aka "floor") is further forward from the seat than it is in a "car", but then the Jeep seat is also up higher.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Jeep. Just keep in mind two things - 1. a Jeep is not a "car" and 2 - this forum exists to help newbies get accustomed to the differences and uniqueness of a Jeep. They are definitely different and have some quirks, but once you become accustomed to the Jeep, it will probably been in your DNA forever. Some leave but then come back. I did.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
The brake should not feel any different than most other cars. Basically, if you're noticing something about the brake pedal, I would guess there's something wrong, because the JK brake is average in terms of feel. The brake pedal should have a linear and consistent pedal feel throughout the normal braking travel. It will obviously get stiffer if you're pushing the pedal to the floor, which you'd only need to do in an emergency braking situation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone. I went out and did some testing, and I think that everything is good. I have had 3 jeeps in the past, but it has been about 10 years, so I forgot what it is like. I am totally stoked to have another jeep!

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts