Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on either of these door storage bags? anyone have/use both? bestop says you can install it before the door comes off, can you do the same with the smittybilt? which has thicker padding? does the bottom of the bag have padding so it can be rested on a hard surface?

smittybilt
Hard Door Storage Bags - Smittybilt

bestop
Bestop

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
You tempted me for a quick moment with the cheap Smittys. And then I remembered I bought Smitty seat covers for the same reason- cheap. And that I've ripped them off because they're such crap. Saving extra for the Bestop.
In terms of padding the usual suggestion is a cut pool noodle but I don't think that would fit. An easy alternative is to buy foam padding from a craft store- or EPDM/Dynamat type sheeting.
Some have suggested making your own; decent heavy, non-scratching material that you can leave outside (for when I camp) is not cheap. And you'll need a decent sewing machine to get through the heavy fabric. Plus the handles need to handle a lot of weight.
I really like these- I've got them around the entire door. No one even knows they are there (color matched). And I can set my door down without worrying about chipping the paint at least.
Door Edge Guards, Car Door Guards & Car Door Trim from $0.67 / foot

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I ended up getting the smittybilt bags because I got them for $69.99. I had to try them at that price. the bag is constructed well with handles top and bottom, the handles are sewn on well and the zipper is heavy duty with a large zipper grab. you are able to put the bag on with the door still on the hinges and then the bag zips up around the door. when I first opened the box and saw them it looked like they would be a tight fit but with the mirror folded in the bag goes on nicely with enough room to add some padding inside the bag if you choose to do so. the bag itself is not padded but it does have a cloth liner and has a nice heavy duty feel to it.
One odd thing is that one bag has a large zipper pocket and the other doesn't. not sure what the pocket is for or why only 1 bag has it.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae252/Jeep4Life1/doorbag_zps9b84b25f.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts