Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm very excited because my husband and I have finally decided to purchase a new Jeep!

We have always loved the look of them and the fact that they are great off roading vehicles. We are currently trying to decide what type of Jeep to get.

We really like the look of the Sahara's (gloss body and same hard top color) but we are kind of in between a hard/soft top only because of the noise factor and wear and tare. Can anyone give me and guidance when it comes to this? Do the hard tops tend to live/hold up longer than the soft tops? I would personally like a soft top because of the ease of taking it down vs. a hard top but I'd be willing to get a hard top if it meant better quality.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
You'll get a ton of opinions on both sides. Ultimately, there isn't a right choice. There are factors to consider for your particular wants/needs.

1. Security. Hard tops are safer from a theft perspective. Soft tops tend to be inviting for thieves to steal stuff from inside your jeep.
2. Noise. Soft tops have gotten far better than before, but still are considered noisier than hard tops. Some people may dispute that.
3. Versatility. Soft tops win.
4. Temperature. Hard tops tend to do a better job in extreme temps. Many people will point this out as winter -vs- summer, but that's assuming the weather patterns for their area. I live in Phoenix, our winters are pretty moderate and our summers are HOT. Here, having a hard top in the summer has A/C advantages. In the NE, having a hard top in the winter has heat advantages in brutally cold weather. Just think of it as "extreme". Hard tops win in extremes. If you have both tops, you could have a soft top in non-extreme times of the year and a hard top in extreme times of the year.

Many people buy both ("dual top group"). That's what I did. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are times when anticipating the weather that I wish I had a soft top, but if you are only going to get one top, get the hard top. However, my vote would be for both.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I am a huge softop advocate. To the point I don't think a hardtop has any business on a wrangler. The reasons usually spouted off for getting a hardtop are usually sad and comical. Like "I love my rear defrost and wiper so I can see out the back" that one always cracks me up since I do very little backwards driving. The other is the softop is so much quieter. For me I could care less. My softop is quite enough I can carry a conversation at 70 without raising my voice. That's good enough for me. Unlike the YJ where we just sit in "silence" because you have to shout "what?" After every sentence. The one that I can't argue is ease of putting stuff in the back. Especially in winter. Although I have a 2 door so I can't imagine what I would be trying to put back there anyways. I think the open air feeling and ability to lower and raise the top when need be trumps all that. If we want to take a day trip to the lake 100 miles from home, no problem we have the top. Starts to get cold and the kids start whining, no problem just put the top up. With a hard top your probably not going to remove it as much as you think. You'll most likely stay around town, and only go through the trouble when there's 0% chance of rain. Where I live when it's hot we get afternoon storms that roll through. For some that's a wasted day of toplessness because of a 1/2 hour rainstorm. So after that very long winded opinion. You sound like a perfect candidate for the dual top option. Because yes the hardtop will outlast the soft top so if you can only get one. And longevity is your main concern. It sounds like the hardtop is the choice for you. A hardtop can last indefinitely. A softop if you get 10 years out of it your doing really really good. Then if you want to stay with the original soft top you will be looking at the replace-a-top from besttop who is the oem supplier of the softop. If that's a cost you don't mind shelling out after let's say 8 years then your ok. If you don't plan on keeping your jeep that long then it's a non issue altogether.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
In my opinion, depends were you geographically live.

Snow belt states: hard top (ideally dual tops)

sunny/warm states: soft top, preferably premium version

·
Registered
119 Posts
...and don't forget that the (Freedom) hard top has the panels above your head that remove to open up the space above the front seats... a good compromise for some.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We got a hard top on my wife's 2014 JKU when we bought it. We have taken the top off a few times and love it. However, it is a real pain to remove, store, etc. And no way she can do it without a lot of help. It is simple to remove the Freedom panels and she does that a lot to give her the open air feel. She loves having the top off, but on trips her Maltese can't stand all the wind blowing, so that makes it tough for her.

After having hers for a year, I decided I had to have one. I ordered a 2015 JKU Willys and got mine with the premium soft top. I love it! My decision was based on the fact that in any kind of decent weather my top would be down or completely off. It is very easy for one person to put the top down or back up quickly. I do park in a garage at home, and live & work in decent areas where I don't have to worry too much about damage or theft. I also don't keep much, if any, valuables in mine. I will never have anything on the one I drive but soft tops.

There are a lot of things to consider, and there is no wrong answer. For me, the premium soft top is perfect. For my wife, the hard top works better. You just have to weigh the options and decide what you really want. Or just go dual top option. You can always sell one if you find you are only using the other.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have both hard top and premium softtop and here are my thoughts.

The prem soft top is surprising quite and would be fine even in a MN winter. The softop has "door frame" pieces that attach to roll bar and provide a channel along top and back egde of rear doors for the back windows.

With the softop on using the cargo area is a pain, yea only takes an extra minute to unzip the back window but its still kind of a pain. Flipping the top all the way back requires you remove the side windows and for a truly wide open experience with the doors off I like to have the door frame pieces off as well and while down consumes a lot of cargo area.

All in all removing the soft top is 2x as time consuming as removing the hard top if you ask me(assuming you have a hoist you can pull under). Over time the soft top windows become scratched and harder to see through.

Actually right now I have the soft top on for the first time, mainly to stretch it out and check it out but honestly once I take it off I will probably never use it again and will continue to just pull the hardtop when I want that open air feel.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am an advocate for the soft top. Had a soft top on my 97 i had and i have the premium soft top on my 2014 jkur. It only takes a few minutes to put top down or to put top back up. I have never own a hard top and i have no intention of owning one. Now i do love the look of the color matched hard top but for the price, no thank you. Like the others have said the dual top would be a great choice for you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have my Jeep on order with a hardtop and I have a new bestop soft top sitting in the box in my pile of parts waiting for the Jeep to get here. This is my second Wrangler and I was lucky enough with my first used TJ to get one with both tops. I live in Iowa and we get long winters. I like to run the hard top from roughly November until the weather starts to consistently start hitting the 50's, then the soft top goes on. On my TJ, the hard top was quieter than the soft top and I feel it held the heat in just a little bit more.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Soft top only! What is the point of buying a Wrangler if you want to drive around with a hard top? Granted those that spend 90% offroad will fight this comment but that is a small percentage.

I love the soft top! In fact, my brother had a hard top and converted to a soft top as well! We live in South Florida and he said that the hard top actually made it feel hotter inside his car. He is much happier now and can take it off whenever he wants.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Soft top fan here. I'm too lazy to deal with a hard top, removal, storage, assistance and/or hoist.

Convertible at will, 4WD in snow (I'm never shoveling my driveway again) and the heater still works with a soft top.

Of course the best part is that you don't have to worry about making the wrong decision - you can get a hard or soft top aftermarket.

As far as quality, not sure there is that much of a difference. I guess if you like the color matched hard top, it would probably be easier to get that from the start rather trying to color match down the road.

Tops, we don't need no stinking tops (or doors).

·
Commercial Member
225 Posts
I run the premium soft top. I would not run anything but the soft top. The versatility is there: you can fold it back in <45 seconds, put it back on in 5 minutes. Whereas the hard top, especially if you have an unlimited, you've got quite a job ahead of you. Talk about freedom tops, soft top has that (sun rider), plus you don't have to store the pieces. Next: storage. There is none of that. Take the quarter windows off: it takes little to no space. Roll up the rear window: no space taken up. Temperature: I live in SW Ohio so I get it all -- I run this top 365 days a year. Haven't had a problem with being too cold, the heaters are industrial on these things. Overall, I would get the premium MOPAR top and call it a day. Welcome to WF and enjoy your new JK!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd say if you have the option to, get both. Like previously said, you can run the soft top in the warm months and the hard top in the colder months. If you can only get one though I'd say get just the soft top. My JK only had a hard top when I bought it used and I wished it had a soft top. One day I will probably get one haha.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm in Winnipeg. We get cold miserable winters, we hit -40 several times this past winter. I have the standard soft top on mine. I had no issues with heat. The only drawback I found with the soft top is that you can't scrape the back window. I didn't have issues with frost on it, but the dirt that accumulates on it comes off with the frost when you scrape your windows in the morning. Other than that, my next jeep won't have a hard top either.
Other issues with the hard top are you need a lift to be able to remove it by yourself and you need somewhere to store it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Jeeps and soft tops belong together...Jeeps with hard tops are not much different than any other SUV in my opinion.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Get the dual top option. Both will be covered under warranty. I ordered the hard top and then purchased a "new" soft top that had not been installed from someone that bought the dual top option.

How much is the dual top option over the hard top?

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
How much is the dual top option over the hard top?
It varies. For example, if the build (whatever option package you may have included already) has the soft top it's X (upgrade soft to premium soft + hard top). If it already has the premium soft top it's less than X (just the hard top).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts