Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a quick background on my 2011 Sport JK: I bought it completely stock a little over a year ago with 122k miles on it and other than some normal wear and tear and a little rust (resolved with a wire brush and Fluid Film) it has been a great Jeep to me. I have slowly began upgrading and replacing as the budget allows. Upgrades include the Rancho 2” Progressive lift with RS9000 shocks and front and rear SRC Gen 2 front and rear bumpers. I installed some 18” Sahara wheels and 32” AT tires. I used a FlashCal for the speedo and DRL. I did all of the upgrade work myself largely thanks to this forum! It’s mostly my DD but I occasionally drive on the beach and or some light trails. The long term upgrades include 34” tires and a BBK but that is not in the budget at the moment. I currently have 132k miles on it.

My commute to work is about 4 miles through neighborhoods and school zones so no driving above 35 mph and no hard braking. The other day I had to make a road trip on the interstate and while in stop and go traffic the braking power decreased significantly and the Jeep was pulling hard to the left even with only moderate brake pressure applied. Fortunately I was able to use my manual trans to slow down using drivetrain power and the issue subsided after pulling over for a few minutes and letting it cool off. The front passenger side brake system was visibly hot and had a strong brake smell. After arriving at my destination and letting the Jeep cool off it was fine on the ride home (no traffic). When I got home I used the FlashCal to check for trouble codes and got nothing.

I took it in to a trusted mechanic friend of mine who does all the work for me I don’t want or am unable to do. He flushed the system and said the front passenger brake line is shot.

Has anybody experienced a scenario like this and could it be as simple as a bad/ collapsed brake line? As I said before I am driving it now and the brakes feel normal again (not great mind you but stock Jeep-normal). Is there something about the stop and go traffic scenario that would cause a bad brake line to be exposed and then go back to “normal” under less stressful driving conditions? Has anybody else experienced this? I want to fix the issue as I don’t want to repeat that situation or god forbid have it happen while my wife is driving it (as if I could ever tear her away from the Recon!) I’m thinking of going with a braided stainless brake line kit similar to the Crown Perf 5 layer but curious what you folks think.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So a quick background on my 2011 Sport JK: I bought it completely stock a little over a year ago with 122k miles on it and other than some normal wear and tear and a little rust (resolved with a wire brush and Fluid Film) it has been a great Jeep to me. I have slowly began upgrading and replacing as the budget allows. Upgrades include the Rancho 2” Progressive lift with RS9000 shocks and front and rear SRC Gen 2 front and rear bumpers. I installed some 18” Sahara wheels and 32” AT tires. I used a FlashCal for the speedo and DRL. I did all of the upgrade work myself largely thanks to this forum! It’s mostly my DD but I occasionally drive on the beach and or some light trails. The long term upgrades include 34” tires and a BBK but that is not in the budget at the moment. I currently have 132k miles on it.

My commute to work is about 4 miles through neighborhoods and school zones so no driving above 35 mph and no hard braking. The other day I had to make a road trip on the interstate and while in stop and go traffic the braking power decreased significantly and the Jeep was pulling hard to the left even with only moderate brake pressure applied. Fortunately I was able to use my manual trans to slow down using drivetrain power and the issue subsided after pulling over for a few minutes and letting it cool off. The front passenger side brake system was visibly hot and had a strong brake smell. After arriving at my destination and letting the Jeep cool off it was fine on the ride home (no traffic). When I got home I used the FlashCal to check for trouble codes and got nothing.

I took it in to a trusted mechanic friend of mine who does all the work for me I don’t want or am unable to do. He flushed the system and said the front passenger brake line is shot.

Has anybody experienced a scenario like this and could it be as simple as a bad/ collapsed brake line? As I said before I am driving it now and the brakes feel normal again (not great mind you but stock Jeep-normal). Is there something about the stop and go traffic scenario that would cause a bad brake line to be exposed and then go back to “normal” under less stressful driving conditions? Has anybody else experienced this? I want to fix the issue as I don’t want to repeat that situation or god forbid have it happen while my wife is driving it (as if I could ever tear her away from the Recon!) I’m thinking of going with a braided stainless brake line kit similar to the Crown Perf 5 layer but curious what you folks think.
Sometimes those can fail. It's never happened to me but has for a buddy of mine. Almost identical symptoms. Not sure what caused the fail but just make sure the lines aren't in the way of anything that would obstruct them if you're flexing offroad. If you did a lift, did you install brake line extensions? The SS brake line kits are nice and would think it would provide something more durable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t do any flexing so it shouldn’t be that and everything looks normal...no kinks or flat or worn spots, it just looks old lol. The Rancho lift I used didn’t require extended brake lines and they only had relocation brackets for the rear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don’t do any flexing so it shouldn’t be that and everything looks normal...no kinks or flat or worn spots, it just looks old lol. The Rancho lift I used didn’t require extended brake lines and they only had relocation brackets for the rear.
Maybe due to its age it was starting to crack? If you don't flex then I wouldn't worry about the extensions in the front either, especially since it doesn't call for any. Might want to go ahead and replace the others if they look bad before they fail.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I’ll replace the stock brake lines with the Crown braided stainless lines as they’re not going to break the bank, the reviews are great and the Jeep is long overdue for that anyway. I’ll report back after duplicating the stop and go driving.

In the meantime if anyone has experienced this first hand or know of a source of information about this please chip in. May help somebody else one day! Cheers!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Circling back to give an update:

The front passenger caliper was seized and the black coffee with pieces of dunked donut floating around in it that I was using for brake fluid needed to be dealt with. So I did what anybody in my shoes would do: replace the whole damn system!

New front Crown BBK, Teraflex big rotors with Hawk LTS pads and new calipers in the rear (rear passenger side inside pad was almost down to metal), Crown Performance SS lines, new larger bore MC and new Prestone synthetic high temp DOT-3 brake fluid flushed through (about three quarts total).

Whoa nelly! She can stop on a dime now friend! Hope this helps somebody!

I’m slowing building this Jeep and loving every minute of it! Cheers!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed 100%!! 👍🏼👍🏼

After flushing the brake fluid I was inspired to go through and change trans, axle and TC fluids as well. Glad I did as the transmission shifts like butter now. I’m learning a lot about my Jeep!

Brake fluid is commonly neglected, even though it should be flushed every 2 years. It is hygroscopic which means it absorbs moisture.
Crud ends up collecting in the piston bore.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts