Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Commercial Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see several eBay sellers selling Rubicon hard rock / 10th anniversary bumpers that appear to be from China and don't have the jeep or Mopar name. I would expect reduced quality or paint issues. Has anyone purchased any of these? If so what what type of quality or experience did you have? I'm not looking to buy on eBay but have contacted a seller of the products and have found I can get these parts new from China including shipping for less than used prices here in the states.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was looking at those when I was searching for a non-rubicon blank winch panel cover for a Hardrock bumper I bought used. One thing I noticed were that they used polished torx bolts instead of the black ones. That would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Commercial Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured you get what you pay for, but I don't mind replacing hardware or even paint considering the cost savings. I would just hate for them to not fit properly. I've been quoted as low as $160 for the hard rock hood, that's really cheap. If I go through with the order I will post pictures and results when I get them installed. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this route yet. When searching completed listings on ebay, I can see they sell, I would just love to hear from someone first hand who has them.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
I haven't bought something as expensive as a bumper or hood, but the few items I bought from China, looked good in the pictures. However, once I got them, I found they weren't manufactured to very good tolerances. The bends weren't in the exact right place, and the holes were off a bit.

Its a good deal only if you're good with tools (got an "A" in shop?), and can fix those types of problems by modifying the part. Can you unbend and then bend the parts? Can you re-drill the holes? Fabricate "adapters"?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I figured you get what you pay for, but I don't mind replacing hardware or even paint considering the cost savings. I would just hate for them to not fit properly. I've been quoted as low as $160 for the hard rock hood, that's really cheap. If I go through with the order I will post pictures and results when I get them installed. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this route yet. When searching completed listings on ebay, I can see they sell, I would just love to hear from someone first hand who has them.
Where are you finding the hood that cheap?

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I haven't bought something as expensive as a bumper or hood, but the few items I bought from China, looked good in the pictures. However, once I got them, I found they weren't manufactured to very good tolerances. The bends weren't in the exact right place, and the holes were off a bit.

Its a good deal only if you're good with tools (got an "A" in shop?), and can fix those types of problems by modifying the part. Can you unbend and then bend the parts? Can you re-drill the holes? Fabricate "adapters"?
Because the Japanese make the Cameras .....

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I think everyone agrees on the quality being hit and miss....And you may be okay taking that chance.

But stop and think about those that actually spent the time and money to engineer these products and are being ripped off. In many cases, the Chinese supplier is breaking several trademark, copy right and other US and International laws. It has a long compounding effect that ultimately hurts us all. Personally, I will not support it.

·
Registered
474 Posts

That's exactly right. Remember some few years back how people's pets were getting sick from Chinese made pet food? Then the Chinese drywall catastrophe? Then the Chinese laminate flooring crap? And we still buy things from them.... Me included at times.

Just yesterday I purchased some Spidertrax wheel spacers after researching some of the less expensive ones on the market. The cheap ones are made in China. I knew it before I even asked.

How long, though, before an aluminum disk shatters on the road, or the studs sheer off due to poor quality or sub-standard material? The Chinese manufacturer doesn't give a shit about your safety, or whether your hood fits your Jeep as advertised...

·
Commercial Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's exactly right. Remember some few years back how people's pets were getting sick from Chinese made pet food? Then the Chinese drywall catastrophe? Then the Chinese laminate flooring crap? And we still buy things from them.... Me included at times.

Just yesterday I purchased some Spidertrax wheel spacers after researching some of the less expensive ones on the market. The cheap ones are made in China. I knew it before I even asked.

How long, though, before an aluminum disk shatters on the road, or the studs sheer off due to poor quality or sub-standard material? The Chinese manufacturer doesn't give a shit about your safety, or whether your hood fits your Jeep as advertised...
I agree 100% and was just looking for others experiences. I bought fuel filler doors on ebay for both jeeps a while back, both sellers claimed to sell OEM mopar parts. I paid the same for both, they fit the same, but after 6 months one still looks great and the black paint on the other has turned ash grey.

I'm not affiliated with or support this vendor in any way and prefer not to support his actions, therefore will not be posting his information publicly.

·
Commercial Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can do a fairly simple search and find whatever your looking for. I've found all the big manufactures that have parts made in china are being copied. You can get almost all of Poison Spider, Mopar, AEV, Magnaflow, Teraflex and others' parts direct from china for pennies on the dollar. How bad they are or what kind of quality you might get who knows.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
I've got one coming on my new 75th, but have a friend that would like one. That price would fit the bill nicely.
If you quickly installed a (non-Chinese) hood lock, it might deter your "friend" from taking the hood off your 75th, and putting it on their Wrangler. This way, you would not have to worry if the replacement you would need to buy, is Chinese or Mopar. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Buy North American!

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you quickly installed a (non-Chinese) hood lock, it might deter your "friend" from taking the hood off your 75th, and putting it on their Wrangler. This way, you would not have to worry if the replacement you would need to buy, is Chinese or Mopar. :D
Thanks for fixing the typo - didn't notice it earlier. :(

Way ahead of you - I picked up one of the hood locks when they went on sale recently, haven't installed it yet, but will be the first thing I put on the new one. For the hood, HID projectors, harness, etc. I'd really like to keep all that stuff..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts