Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking at getting a hard rock bumper for my Willys but am indifferent I love the bumper but given how my appliqué matches my grill looking for your options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
you will forget about that glued on cover as soon as you install the hardrock bumper.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It’ll be great. If you’re considering the rear, I’ve come across some posts that speak of the metal rear bumper damaging the body because it bends up into the body too easily when scrapping across obstacles. That has me a bit concerned, because I’d like to install the AEV spare tire carrier eventually.

The front will have a winch mounted soon. I have all the necessary parts. Now I just need to be home long enough to get ‘er done.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
The 10A/Hard Rock bumpers are as flimsy as pop cans. Not worth it, unless you can grab them locally for dirt cheap. Like seriously cheap......maybe $200 for the set is all they're worth.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
The 10A/Hard Rock bumpers are as flimsy as pop cans. Not worth it, unless you can grab them locally for dirt cheap. Like seriously cheap......maybe $200 for the set is all they're worth.
Everyone I see for sale must be made of gold based on asking price.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
afaik the rears are not the best for holding up the jeep if you drop off onto them. The fronts are not bad like the rears.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
My front bumper has taken a beating and held up great, but make sure you have the metal skid plate that goes with the bumper.

The rear 10A/HR/RX bumper looks good, but flexes too much. I eventually ended up removing mine in favor of an AEV rear bumper. I also like the additional clearance from getting rid of the rear red tow hooks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Is this the same bumper that comes with the JL Rubi?

·
Registered
97 Posts
...I also like the additional clearance from getting rid of the rear red tow hooks.
I kinda like the thought that those rear red tow hooks might keep that bumper from getting twisted up into the body of my Jeep. No real world testing of that theory by me yet, though.

·
Registered
‘17 JKU Big Bear
496 Posts
10A/HR bumpers look good but mopar is too proud of them. Made of rarest of metals to command the prices I see. Definitely yes if at a better price. I see post about checking Craig’s list...others must have better Craig’s list than what’s available in my area. I’ve never seen these bumpers or a premium top listed.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I kinda like the thought that those rear red tow hooks might keep that bumper from getting twisted up into the body of my Jeep. No real world testing of that theory by me yet, though.
For sure, the tow hooks help a lot with protecting the stock 10A bumper. However, they eat up a lot of clearance and I was constantly dragging them over stuff. You definitely don't want to eliminate the tow hooks with the stock 10A rear bumper.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some dude on YouTube got his rear for $50. Waiting for that deal. Everyone wants 1over 1K for the set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have a Poison Spyder that im no longer using that is above and beyond stronger than the Hard Rock. There's plenty of aftermarket bumpers you can have new for less than the cost of a used Hard Rock bumper.

·
Registered
862 Posts
There are a lot of people that are saying that they heard the HR bumper is flexy in the rear. I know they are flexy in the rear. I ended up just tossing mine, because to me, function is way more important than form. I have a Rock hard in the back now, because it hit all the points i was looking for. They probably are not the prettiest or most artistic bumpers, but they wrap around the body work to the tire, they have high clearance, and an integrated trailer hitch, to make it even higher. I like it a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
10A/HR bumpers look good but mopar is too proud of them. Made of rarest of metals to command the prices I see. Definitely yes if at a better price. I see post about checking Craig’s list...others must have better Craig’s list than what’s available in my area. I’ve never seen these bumpers or a premium top listed.
In our area craigslist is dead. Most stuff worth your while is on fb market place. About the only reason to be on Facebook.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I just picked up a full set off Facebook marketplace for $400. I found that pretty fair. Looked for a set for a long time. I say if the hard rock bumpers are what you are looking for keep looking on Craigslist and fb marker until you find a fair price. I wouldn't pay mopar new price for them, i think they are just too expensive based on other options on the market.

The back def seems like it could get into the body if you dropped down on it. We'll see how it goes. The front however doesn't seem that thin and flimsy to me. Feels like it could take a hit or two without issue. The stock skid feels pretty tough as well. Should suit my needs just fine.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts