Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2007 jeep Wrangler Unlimited I had bad death wobble
Replaced ball joints , u-joints , track bar , shocks , alignment . Death wobble is gone however Before the death wobble
and to this day once and awhile the steering gets very tight and hard to turn in either direction seems like its binding you need two hands to turn or even turning backing in to a parking spot Any ideas would be helpful

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Sounds like when my front locker is engaged. Initially thought power steering pump issue too. Condition of front axle bearings?

Hard to fix the issues that come and go.

Steve

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It feels like binding in spots happens more when my jeep been has been on the road for awhile
and in warmer out door temperatures

·
Registered
810 Posts
Power steering pump might be flaky, or you might have a bad intermediate shaft that is binding.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I know from past experience if the power steering pump goes out a vehicle with PS is almost impossible to turn. Did you check the fluid level and for leaks?

It may also be the steering gear box.

If it were stuck in 4WD it would not be a real issue until he got near the lock positions in either direction and then he would feel the binding. I think the "binding" he thinks he feels is as if the steering shaft were binding and hard to turn.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I know from past experience if the power steering pump goes out a vehicle with PS is almost impossible to turn. Did you check the fluid level and for leaks?

It may also be the steering gear box.

If it were stuck in 4WD it would not be a real issue until he got near the lock positions in either direction and then he would feel the binding. I think the "binding" he thinks he feels is as if the steering shaft were binding and hard to turn.
Mine does this too, especially when the tires are under-inflated (i.e. for off-road). I wonder if it's because there is a higher load on the power-steering pump so it gives up occasionally. It happened to me while going round a corner on the road on my way down the mountain before I got to the gas station where I re-aired my tires. Quite disturbing to lose power steering at 30mph in a corner. I'm pretty sure it's the power steering in mine, but it gets so hard to turn it really feels like something is binding.

Ian

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
In the early '80s I drove a friends mid '70s F150 with manual steering once. It was an exercise but nothing like the '81 Honda when the PS belt came off. And those were the days when we had big steering wheels and on a light Honda. I would hate to have to horse around my JKU with the small steering wheel and no PS.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hard Steering

Where abouts is the intermediate shaft on my jeep also I thought of doing
power steering fluid flush

·
Registered
810 Posts
Where abouts is the intermediate shaft on my jeep also I thought of doing
power steering fluid flush
It's the steering shaft between the column (at firewall) to the steering gearbox. The early ones were pretty bad about clunking and binding, I believe they have been redesigned 2 or 3 times over the years. Fairly easy to change out.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/56014_1024.htm

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Death Wobble

DW has returned again wtf back to the garage that replace all shocks , u-joints , track bar , stabilizer , all ball joints 2 months ago any advice would be greatly appreciated

2,793 Posts
DW has returned again wtf back to the garage that replace all shocks , u-joints , track bar , stabilizer , all ball joints 2 months ago any advice would be greatly appreciated
Check your ball joints and wheel bearings. And make sure everything is torqued to spec. Your Track bar bracket may be ovaled out also. Have someone turn your jeep left and right and visually watch to see if there is any movement where the track bar bolts in.

-JP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to see mechanic yesterday he re - torqued every thing informed me when he replaced the track bar it did not come with new bolts he is going to replace track bar and new bolts also check track bar brackects I will keep you informed thanks for your help

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on the DW , my mechanic replaced bolts that hold track bar in place with new ones and also new track bar the one they installed a couple of months ago must have been faulty one of the bushings had a lot of slop . So now going over those certain bumps I get a very minor shake but the jeep recovers nicely I hope that will be it had enough of that night mare Thank-you for every ones help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts