Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a set of BFG 36 x 13.50 R18 KO2 MT. They are on XD Rockstars. I have had them balanced x2 ( both stick on weights and rim weights ). They still have a terrible shake at about 60 mph. You can start to feel it around 40, but it is tolerable up to about 50-55. One tire only needed about 4 oz, another about 10, and the other 2 have 14 and 16 oz. I recently rotated the tires, putting the least weight up front, and the shaking got worse. Has anyone used the balance beads with good success? I'm about to sell these real cheap!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a set of 35" KO2's and I used the BB centrifugal balance method. Three of the wheels are fine but the one wheel never would balance right. I even took it back and tried another set of BB's with no improvement. I upgrading the 37's and decided to go with Ridge Grapplers--I've read about KO2's not balancing right and just didn't want to be bothered with another bad experience.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's tough to balance big tires perfectly. I had a shake at 40-50mph when I had KM2's on my last JK. I just accepted it and didn't drive at those speeds lol. But in all seriousness it's probably due to not being able to get a perfect balance.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Where did you get the tires? Some shops will trade them out for another set or different tires if they won't balance.

I would keep going back, don't accept the fact that they do not balance, or an excuse that they are large tires.

I had Mastercraft MXT in 37x12.50r17 and they balanced perfectly.

I currently have Pro Comp Xtreme MT2 in 40x13.50r17 and they have no balance issues either.

Previously had Yokohama Geolandar MT+ and they would never balance. It was annoying.

Also I'm pretty sure that you have the KM2 not KO2. Are you sure that you aren't just feeling the shimmy of the tread pattern? They are not a smooth tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, fat fingers, they are KM2. Unfortunately, I purchased them from a coworker for " dirt cheap", so no recourse to take them back. There is no cupping or other wear. His son reportedly had them on a truck he had purchased on only had less than 1 K miles on them. I'm wondering if he had the same issue and that's why he got rid of them, not that they were too big. It is definitely not tread caused, they are smooth as glass from a stop up to about 40 mph.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Is there anyone in your area with a Road Force balancing machine? With one of those, they can adjust the position of the tire on the rim such that it cancels out any imbalance in the rim, and gives a much better starting point. They can also accommodate slightly out of round tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to try and find a place that had a road force this morning. Discount tire told me they would give me $320 for them trade on another set. I think that's a low price but.....

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Yea, fat fingers, they are KM2. Unfortunately, I purchased them from a coworker for " dirt cheap", so no recourse to take them back. There is no cupping or other wear. His son reportedly had them on a truck he had purchased on only had less than 1 K miles on them. I'm wondering if he had the same issue and that's why he got rid of them, not that they were too big. It is definitely not tread caused, they are smooth as glass from a stop up to about 40 mph.
He probably ditched them for that very reason and wasn't forthcoming about it.
Roadforce is worth a shot.

Also sometimes it is the person balancing them. I found with the Yokohamas there was one guy that could get it right. I had quite a few techs do it and they road horribly. He did it twice and it didn't shimmy for a month or two after at least lol.

·
Registered
446 Posts
10, 14, and 16oz of weight is incredibly high... Get them on a roadforce machine though I don't think it will help with that amount of weight; something is wrong. There wasn't any water in the tires was there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No water in tires. I thought Discount did a real fast balance, in and out in under 30 minutes. They had 2 kids do them on 2 separate machines. Found a very reputable shop that only does alignments and road force balancing. I spoke w/ the owner today and he reported doing numerous balances on the KM2's having the same issues. I have an appointment next Tuesday to get it done. I thought a bit expensive at $160, but worth a shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts