Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started looking for a low-miles 2017 or 2018 Rubicon JK and every VIN that I've run shows 3.73 gears. Until I said something in a thread a few days ago, I hadn't realized 3.73 was even available on the Rubicon.

I really haven't been looking more than a few minutes, but now I'm wondering if 4.10 is uncommon, or if I've just been unlucky so far?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
automatic rubicons come with 3.73 standard and 4.10 option. manuals are all 4.10's.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If you can find the window sticker for a particular Rubicon the standard list will show 3.73.
If you look in the right side column of upgrades the 4.10 will be listed there IF it has the upgrade.
I bought a 2016 and the only one I looked at had 4.1.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
3.73’s with the automatic are very common. Not a lot of people thought it was worth the $600-$700 option price for 4.10

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
here is a nice one .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
4.10's was worth it for a very light rig and up to 35's. Past that, forget it. Don't turn down a really nice jeep because of gears. I did that with my first jeep and now know I shouldn't have. IF you know you want a lift and 35's, regearing is about $1,200+/- depending on where you are. It is one of the best things you can do for a jeep. Having a JKUR that's all armored up and on 37's drive like a stock JK on 4.10's is fantastic.

I have a second JKUR that came with 4.10's. I have almost finished building. It has full AEV bumpers/carrier, Zeon 10-S winch, RH 4x4 full steel skids, Rock Slide steps, MC GC lift, and 35 ATZ P3's. It' fine on local trails but struggles when we have to climb a grade or get to higher elevations. When I take my other JKUR that's even more built and on 37's, it's night and day how much better than thing climbs hills with 4.88's.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Don’t pass up a nice JK for gears. 4.10 are few and far between. Even the auto Recons which have 4.10 decaled on the hood has 3.73 gears.
I was lucky to find a 18 with 4.10. My take is on 35s the rpm is still running a bit high for highway speeds above 60mph. For fireroads and DD it’s just fine. Regular trail riding, sand, mud holes, and snow it does just fine. We’ll see how it handles 37” Pitbulls.
My last JK had a 3.8L w/ 5.38 gears and 37” Pitbulls. So I’ll swap gears in the 18 to 4.56 or 4.88 later if I feel the need..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
I purchased my new 2018 JK Rubicon two door as a leftover only 7 months ago and it came with the upgraded 4.10
I am surprised that you can’t find a comparable used one.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I spent time looking before I bought …
from my memory with auto trans ,,unless its part of a package, finding any optioned up axle ratio is uncommon.
3.73 on any sport based model ie: sahara, freedom editions etc.. are hard to find
just like finding an optioned up 4.10 rubi axle is .

my guess is , since a vast majority of jeeps are ordered by dealerships ,
its just not an option they tick very often

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everybody. My thinking is that I might run 35" some day, but I'll probably just stick with 33" so factory 4.10 would be ideal. Good to know it isn't common though, so I can stop fixating on that.

There are still a few nice looking leftovers out there. Slightly nervous about something that has been parked for so long, but on the other hand I had a garage full of old cars that sometimes didn't move for 6-10 months and they were always fine. (Heck, when I bought my my 55 Buick, it had been parked for three years ... the next day I overhauled the brakes and I drove it 950 miles home.)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Don’t pass up a nice JK for gears. 4.10 are few and far between. Even the auto Recons which have 4.10 decaled on the hood has 3.73 gears.
I was lucky to find a 18 with 4.10. My take is on 35s the rpm is still running a bit high for highway speeds above 60mph. For fireroads and DD it’s just fine. Regular trail riding, sand, mud holes, and snow it does just fine. We’ll see how it handles 37” Pitbulls.
My last JK had a 3.8L w/ 5.38 gears and 37” Pitbulls. So I’ll swap gears in the 18 to 4.56 or 4.88 later if I feel the need..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. I had to order mine that way. Most probably wouldn't spend the extra cash. They are few and far between.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just picked up a 2017 JK Rubi with 4:10's from a Honda dealer. Drove it almost 500 miles home and I thought the engine was winding way to fast at 70 MPH. About half of them I looked at had the 4:10 option. I was looking for 3:73 because its my daily driver and I take a lot of road trips. My 2015 had 3:21's and they were pure hell. Many forum members seem to think extended trips at 2800 RPM are OK. I'm not too sure about that.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Just picked up a 2017 JK Rubi with 4:10's from a Honda dealer. Drove it almost 500 miles home and I thought the engine was winding way to fast at 70 MPH. About half of them I looked at had the 4:10 option. I was looking for 3:73 because its my daily driver and I take a lot of road trips. My 2015 had 3:21's and they were pure hell. Many forum members seem to think extended trips at 2800 RPM are OK. I'm not too sure about that.
2,800rpm with 3:21? What size tires did you have?

I have 3:21 in my jk, when/if I regear, 3:73 is as low as I will go.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
A total rip off for FCA to charge $600 for the 4.10's. They are OK but mine with 3.73's is also OK. The only other gear for me would be 4.56's.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Yet another reason to buy a 6spd; they all come with 4.10s. I have to disagree with the position that 4.10s are good up to 35s; I felt the crawling really dropped off when I moved to 35s; highway was just okay with downshifting on hills. Now that I'm running 4.88s I can crawl very well and I never have to downshift on hills anymore.

Make it easy and pickup a stick; you will also have better bargaining power as the used 6spds tend to 'sit' on dealer lots much longer.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yet another reason to buy a 6spd; they all come with 4.10s. I have to disagree with the position that 4.10s are good up to 35s; I felt the crawling really dropped off when I moved to 35s; highway was just okay with downshifting on hills. Now that I'm running 4.88s I can crawl very well and I never have to downshift on hills anymore.

Make it easy and pickup a stick; you will also have better bargaining power as the used 6spds tend to 'sit' on dealer lots much longer.
That is regional - up here Used handshakers sell as fast as they are traded. I wanted one, but it was sold before I arrived to look at it.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts