Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am having problems getting in and out of 4 lo. 4 hi is no problem. I have a 2009 jku auto. I am giving it a little gas when I change, but 4 lo seems stuck and hard to get in and out of. Anyone have any tips? I can get it but it is like I have to force it in/out. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all. I am having problems getting in and out of 4 lo. 4 hi is no problem. I have a 2009 jku auto. I am giving it a little gas when I change, but 4 lo seems stuck and hard to get in and out of. Anyone have any tips? I can get it but it is like I have to force it in/out. Thanks!
Try putting trans in neutral then 4 low
The same for taking it out of 4 low

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try putting trans in neutral then 4 low
The same for taking it out of 4 low
This.

I actually had to read the manual to get the dang thing in 4L.

Apparently the jeep has to be moving a little bit and you have to have the trans in neutral before it will go to 4L. This is the complete opposite of every truck I have ever driven. My F-150 had to be completely stopped before you could even consider going into 4L.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks i appreciate the help :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Once you do it a few times you get the hang of it and it gets easier.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Had to learn this the hard way lmao.Shoved it into 4L and thought my trans case exploded lol talk about a thunk

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
This.

I actually had to read the manual to get the dang thing in 4L.

Apparently the jeep has to be moving a little bit and you have to have the trans in neutral before it will go to 4L. This is the complete opposite of every truck I have ever driven. My F-150 had to be completely stopped before you could even consider going into 4L.
The manual is so handy. You can download it to you phone for instant access.

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
What I usually do is I pick a spot on the trail where there is a slight slope. Put the tranny in neutral and go to 4 lo if it dont bite let the jeep roll a few inches and try again I get less or no grinding this way.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I was test driving a new Jeep the salesman tried putting it into 4 lo with the engine off and the tranny in park. I thought he was going to pop a vein trying to get the lever to move. I didn't buy that one, LOL.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
When I was test driving a new Jeep the salesman tried putting it into 4 lo with the engine off and the tranny in park. I thought he was going to pop a vein trying to get the lever to move. I didn't buy that one, LOL.
AHAHAHAHAHA what a numbskull

·
Registered
821 Posts
X2 on putting the user manual on your smart phone. It's super handy, and you can do quick searches for key words.

...Apparently the jeep has to be moving a little bit and you have to have the trans in neutral before it will go to 4L....
It doesn't have to be moving. I find it hard to keep it under 5mph when shifting into 4-low, and I shift into 4-low when stopped instead. That eliminates grinding too that you can get when moving. With the stopped method, sometimes you have to move a foot to get the gears lined up for it to drop in though. Either way you don't want to force it too much or a plastic, hard to get to, bushing can pop off.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What I usually do is I pick a spot on the trail where there is a slight slope. Put the tranny in neutral and go to 4 lo if it dont bite let the jeep roll a few inches and try again I get less or no grinding this way.
This has worked for me every time. If you can't find a slop what I generally do is just put it in N. I do not have my foot on the brake I let it move just a little.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Mine goes pretty happily into 4lo as long as you're in neutral (2008), don't usually need to be moving. Sometimes it gets a little snotty and you gotta roll a bit, but thats rare. Neutral for the win.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2013 JKR with an automatic is really hard to move in and out of 4 low so I was trying to limber the transfer case a bit by shifting in and out of 4 low. When I shifted back into 2 wheel drive the Jeep wouldn't move unless I gave it a lot of gas and the engine's RPM flared up to about 2,000. It behaved as if the transmission was really low on transmission fluid. I shifted back into 4 low then 2 hi and it returned to normal. Does anyone know why the torque converter would start flaring up then return to normal?
Regards,

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went out this weekend and had no problems shifting it into 4lo. Neutral in motion was the trick. Thanks :) i would be going about 10 mph or so and coast to idle, throw it in neutral and shifted to 4lo without any problems :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts