Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got my hands on a second jeep,and I love.im having an issue with it tho.when the jeep is cold I can shift in to all gears just fine while the motor is running,but once I've ran the jeep for a little while like let's say a half hour,then it becomes hard to put in to 1st gear.ive gotten used to putting it into gear before I come to a stop and just keeping my foot on the clutch so I don't hassle but that's starting to get old.so what I've done is gotten home and had my son help me bleed the clutch and that seems to help out until it warms up and I have to keep my foot on clutch while at a light.i don't want to just start swapping parts until I get it right but I want to fix it.my jeep has an inline 6 with a 5 speed manual Trans,it's a 1990.any help would be much appreciated,thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mine does the very same thing with the 2.5L and 5 speed. Looking forward to hearing what answers are.

·
Registered
473 Posts
change your fluid in trans.. But this sounds like something internal that will require repair of bearings or pilot bushing.
I use 10w30 motor oil..
some use redline MT ...
see which gives you better results start with the cheapest one.. CHEAP DINO OIL....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also I forgot to mention that when the issue of being hard to put in gear happens it seems like the pedal softens a lil bit.also I don't see any fluid loss

·
Registered
46 Posts
change your fluid in trans.. But this sounds like something internal that will require repair of bearings or pilot bushing.
I use 10w30 motor oil..
some use redline MT ...
see which gives you better results start with the cheapest one.. CHEAP DINO OIL....
Agree.. Start by checking tranny fluid! I recommend Redline.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Some of that is normal high mileage wear on the syncro.

First, change the fluid. I also use Redline.

When you go to put in first, push it gently till it resists then let off the forward pressure then push forward again. It should then go normally.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I had used Redline GL4 for about a year, I grew so tired of it being hard to shift while cold so I tried Amsoil GL4... the difference is so much better.

Also cheaper than Redline with a membership

Redline 4qts $76.08
Amsoil 4qts $45.80

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went and bought 3 quarts of Lucas synthetic and a quart of penzoil synchromesh,fill it until it leak out a little bit form the fill hole,ran it around for a lil bit,so far were good.i will know for sure when I'm on my way home from work.the LA traffic will for sure put it thru the test,will keep you guys updated

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that didn't work,lol.going look in to putting a new clutch in to it.sometimes when I release the clutch it feels as if I'm letting it kinda quick

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Everything says you have a bad clutch problem, not a trans, but I think it is the Master that's bad, when you get in traffic and everything under the hood gets hot, it's there and not when cool, so the master could be getting hot and bypassing. JMO

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I think your right.i really like my jeep so I think I'm going to just replace the clutch and the master cylinder

1 - 17 of 17 Posts