Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1983 CJ7 takes a lot of cranking time to start after a few days of sitting idle. If I start it at least once every 5 days or so no problem. Battery is new, and assume starter is fine since problem only occurs after a week or so of non-use. I'm perplexed! Any thoughts? Thank you

·
dirt road inspector
2,972 Posts
How do you finally get it to start? Do you have to prime the carb with some gas or just keep cranking it until it starts?
Could be a fuel pump or a fuel return line causing it. I had both with my 1978 CJ7 over the years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeep hard to start

I just keep cranking and finally it catches. If it is fuel pump, or fuel return line, would it manifest itself like this, just a problem in starting? Cause after it starts everything seems to work fine. Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just went through this with my 1981. If it sat for more than a week it would take multiple times to start. Put a device up by carb that prevents fuel from going backwards as I thought fuel was draining out. Replaced fuel pump, all of this over several years. If it sat for awhile it would take it forever to get primed to start. Just yesterday I replaced tank and fuel lines. Pretty sure it was fuel line corrosion causing fuel lines to have less flow. If I put a gas can on ground and took fuel line leading to fuel pump, it would start right up. Not sure I needed to replace fuel tank but at 38 years old, it probably didn't hurt. Fuel lines is my bet.

·
Registered
563 Posts
It sounds to me like a fuel delivery issue. Let it sit for a week, spray some starting fluid down a carb and see if you can get it to start. If it starts right up you know its a fuel problem.

I would start with the carb and go backwards. Buy a rebuild kit and crack the carb open, they really aren't that difficult to rebuild.

I like to buy a gallon of brake cleaner and soak the carb in a bucket after i tear it all apart. This really helps to break up any crap that has manifested itself in the fuel passages of your carb. However make sure you take it all apart.

After thats done I like to clean it up and blow out all the fuel passages with an air hose for good measure. Then replace all the gaskets, double check the float levels, make sure all the jets are clean and slap errr back on.

Then before you go to start the car replace the fuel filter as well.

Older cars that haven't had the fuel filter replaced in a long time can sometimes be clogged with rust from the tank. Making it difficult for fuel to get through without the engine really spinning.

If this doesn't fix your problem then replace the fuel pump. If that doesn't work I would re assess the problem

This is how I would go about it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for delay in responding, got busy. So after sitting for months, the Jeep started like a charm (well it took two sprays) with starting fluid. Why did I not know about this miraculous concoction before? And next day it started without problem, no need to spray. Whatever is stopping the fuel from hitting the carburetor initially is still happening, no doubt, but at least now I can get it going. Next step, check fuel pump, fuel line corrosion, fuel filter, correct? Thanks for the great advice!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sorry for delay in responding, got busy. So after sitting for months, the Jeep started like a charm (well it took two sprays) with starting fluid. Why did I not know about this miraculous concoction before? And next day it started without problem, no need to spray. Whatever is stopping the fuel from hitting the carburetor initially is still happening, no doubt, but at least now I can get it going. Next step, check fuel pump, fuel line corrosion, fuel filter, correct? Thanks for the great advice!
yes check your fuel delivery system first

Edit: Just check your fuel filter and make sure its not clogged before you start rebuilding stuff. If its clogged with rust from the tank then it cant deliver fuel efficiently

·
Registered
120 Posts
also be careful with ether(starting fluid) use as little as possible, it scrubs oil off cylinders, its very hard on older engines, but a lifesaver in an emergency.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts