Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at putting a 2008 hard top on my 2012.

I found out that the latches are different, the alignment pins are different, the glass is different, etc. But what about the connections for wiper/light/defrost? Are those connections different? If I buy the 2011+ wiring harness, will it plug into a 2008 hard top??

·
Registered
404 Posts
Forgive the stupid question/comment, but I'd think that based on the growing list of things that are different, the wiring harness would be your least worry.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I posted about this a while back and received minimal responses. I found a 2010 freedom top for my 2012 but the owner said it wouldn't fit so wasn't worth the drive to pick it up. I never did find out for sure. So I too am interested in some information...

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Well the part numbers for the harnesses are different.
2008: 68005020AA
2012: 68088037AA

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I know the harnesses are different on the end that wires into the dash, but what about the end where the harness connects to the top?

If I get this hard top, I will only do so if I can make the wiper and defrost work. Otherwise it'll be no better than my soft top in winter.

Nobody has put an older top on a 12?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If you can wait till this weekend I'll check the harnesses. I have an '08, I can see how it's different from the 10,12, and 13 tops. The glass area is bigger on the later tops, minor improvement. I'll also remove the freedom top panels. I won't pull the tops and switch them for you though. haha

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can wait till this weekend I'll check the harnesses. I have an '08, I can see how it's different from the 10,12, and 13 tops. The glass area is bigger on the later tops, minor improvement. I'll also remove the freedom top panels. I won't pull the tops and switch them for you though. haha
That would be awesome actually. I would love to know if the connections at the rear corner of the hard tops are the same between 08 and 12. :flowers:

Otherwise, from what I understand the top itself will fit fine, it's just that the freedom panels latch to each other, which was more prone to leaking. The new tops latch to the footman loop at the top of the windshield which holds them tighter.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My 2008 isn't home for the night but the '10,'12, and '13 share the same 5 conductor plug. It's oriented differently on the top but they are interchangeable (the plug goes straight in on the '10, the '12 and '13 goes in flush with the top). The glass is 3.5" wider on the sides of the '12/'13 and 6" wider on the tailgate (42" vrs 48" - less blind spot on newer top).

I'll post a pic of the connectors tomorrow, hopefully with a pic and detail on the '08.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2008 isn't home for the night but the '10,'12, and '13 share the same 5 conductor plug. It's oriented differently on the top but they are interchangeable (the plug goes straight in on the '10, the '12 and '13 goes in flush with the top). The glass is 3.5" wider on the sides of the '12/'13 and 6" wider on the tailgate (42" vrs 48" - less blind spot on newer top).

I'll post a pic of the connectors tomorrow, hopefully with a pic and detail on the '08.
Awesome info! Thanks so much! Yeah..some pics would make it even better. :wavey:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Pics of connectors, still didn't get to '08. The connector plug feeding the top are the same . Mouse over the pic to see what year. Sorry, it was dark in the garage last night.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic information. Thank you very much for taking the time to do that for me. It appears that a 2008 top should work with the proper harness for a 2012, so that the wiper/defrost will maintain functionality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts