Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've had my 2017 JKU for three weeks now and got both tops with it. First order of business is storing the hard top for the summer. My garage is plenty tall - about 10'6" high, so it can be stored high enough such that my 6' tall son won't hit his head on it. But there's a beam running the width of the ceiling, just beyond the garage door motor that shortens the length I have available to about 84".

I've been reading about everyone's hoist designs but everything I've seen requires that the rear window remain open - because the hooks or straps attach under the window. Plus, that's how the rigging lifts the top rather than having to manually lift the top to put the rigging under it.

Any ideas on a hoist design that allows the window to be closed when lifted?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Take a look at the Topsy Hinge Brackets. They allow you to lift the top off with the window and tailgate closed. While they are designed to be used with the Racor lift rack there's no reason you have to.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have the Topsy product and it's great. Their shipping seems a bit steep but oh well. One note about the ratchet straps, someone posted that they ran their straps front to back under the top and wound up cracking it as the fiberglass is thinner in the front than sides, so if you are going that route just be careful you are ratcheting it too tight.

ETA:Link to the topsy thread, post #57 is the guy who mentioned that he cracked his top.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have the Topsy product and it's great. Their shipping seems a bit steep but oh well.
I like the idea of the Topsy product and being able to keep my window down, as that would save room for me when storing as well.

However, I am just a bit leery about the connection point and it's strength to lift the whole top.

How long have you been using them? Any signs of stress at the hinges?

Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've only been using it for about 2 weeks. I'm probably going to be lowering my top this weekend (if time allows) because I had a brain fart when installing my Racor lift and I mounted it with the crank gear towards the front of the Jeep so when I try to remove the top the gear would bind, so I had to do it out of the opening when the freedom panels removed. I'll remount it 90 degrees so it's on the side. Click the Topsy thread link and try asking there as I'm guessing people there have probably been using theirs longer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used 4 ratchet straps and 2 pieces of strapping with loops tied on each end. Those go on the inside sides of the top to allow the ratchet strap hooks to connect inside rather than on the top itself. That way, the only thing making contact with the hard top is the strap. Put a half piece of pool noodle between it and the top and no damage. Then I closed the rear window and used the excess straps to hold it closed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
100,448 Posts
:pcwhack: Looks like I fat fingered the title... Should have read: Hard Top Hoist with Window Open :pcwhack:
I edited your title for you.

Reactions: GatorBrewer

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I tried to but the post options window showed I couldn't edit my posts. Perhaps because I'm I new member?

At any rate, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Go buy the TopLiftPro. It doesn't ruin your weather stripping with straps and takes about 5 minutes to remove the top and put it back on. Also takes up zero garage space if stored along the back wall.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This past Saturday, my dad and I installed the Racor Hoist and Topsy Hinge Hook Hoist Brackets. It took us about 5 hours total, but 3 hours of that was design and engineering discussions. (My dad's a mechanical engineer, and I'm an IT guy, so we have a tendency to over-design/analyze on projects like this.) The Racor/Topsy combo was the PERFECT solution for my garage... to recap:

The top is about 66" long and the length of my available garage ceiling space is 74", so I needed a way to hoist the top with the window closed.
I liked the idea of an all-in-one hoist that doesn't require a rope tied-off to a cleat.

I didn't like the Racor instructions saying to mount each hoist arm to a single ceiling joist, so we decided to spread the load across multiple joists...

Secured 3 - 2x4's @ 54" long perpendicular to four ceiling joists. (Clearance holes in the 2x4's and pilot holes in the ceiling joists for 1/4" x 3" lag bolts)
Attached 2 - 2x4's @ 48" long perpendicular to the 3 - 2x4's. (Clearance holes in the 2 - 48" 2x4's and pilot holes in the 3 - 54" 2x4's for 1/4" x 3" lag bolts)
Mounted the Racor hoist rails to the 2 - 48" 2x4's (using 10 Racor-supplied lag bolts into each 2x4)
Mounted the Topsy Hinge Hook Hoist Brackets to the top's rear window hinges
Zip-tied two old pool noodles to the bottom of the Racor hoist's shelf to protect the top

Laid the Freedom Panels on the hoist's shelf
Attached the hard top via the Topsy hooks and included strap around the front sides

Cranked 'er up (to just a few inches off the floor to make sure all is well)

Two hours later, I cranked it all the way up and ended with this...

This is most definitely an awesome combination of hoist and mounting hardware for the JKU hard top. The Racor hoist installation took a while because we chose to over-engineer the mounting. But the @Topsy Hinge Hook Hoist Brackets; were incredibly easy to install and an ingenious way of attaching the hard top to the hoist with the rear window closed.

:awesome:

I highly recommend both products!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
This is what I did. A $19 hand crank winch from Tractor Supply, some 1 1/2" nylon strap, pullys, eye hooks, rope and a 6 foot tube from Home Depot. About $75 or less. The straps are thin and strong. I can close the rear glass without damaging anything.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts