Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in south Texas and summer temps here are in the 100's. I'd like to add the pre-cut insulation pads to my JK's hardtop but can anyone give me advice on the best glue to use ? Vel-Cro, 3M double stick tape, or spray glue are NOT gonna last in this kinda heat. I'm looking for a 'permanent' way to install these insulation inserts that won't fail, later on, under extreme heat. Thanks.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,934 Posts
Contact Hotheadheadliners.com and see what they use. I have their product in my JKU. I live in Lubbock and the heat and cold fluctuations have not affected mine in more than 2 years.

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
Hotheads uses 3M. I’m going on 4 years without issue. When I got mine they were still in SoCal, I stopped by to pick them up and they offered to install them for free. Owner says he fields call almost every week about the 3M not sticking, says after a while most admit not following the instructions for scuffing, not using the specified cleaner.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I live in south Texas and summer temps here are in the 100's. I'd like to add the pre-cut insulation pads to my JK's hardtop but can anyone give me advice on the best glue to use ? Vel-Cro, 3M double stick tape, or spray glue are NOT gonna last in this kinda heat. I'm looking for a 'permanent' way to install these insulation inserts that won't fail, later on, under extreme heat. Thanks.
If you are really serious about permanent, the top is a foam core I believe so can you just put a toggle bolt or drywall style screw base into it and fasten them up with hardware?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The HH look like a great product. I ended up going with the OEM ordered from Amazon. The price diffference was pretty big and I didn't think the quality of the HH would be superior enough to justify the price difference. Mine have been in since fall of 2017 and no issues. My high temps aren't quite as high as yours but im guessing the swings in Indiana (100 plus summer highs, and low temps last winter -25) are just as tough on adhesives constant heat.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have Jtops in the top and hothead in the rear sides. They use velcro to stick to strips that are stuck on.
I cleaned and scuffed the inside very well. After 2 years of AZ summers, no issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have Jtops in the top and hothead in the rear sides. They use velcro to stick to strips that are stuck on.
I cleaned and scuffed the inside very well. After 2 years of AZ summers, no issues.
Thanks. Decided to go with the HotHead Thermal Backed Kit. Spoke to the owner by phone. He agreed that if you follow the instructions, Adhesion is not an issue. we'll let y'all know once installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts