Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, put my hard top on couple of nights ago and am having some issues getting it to fit snug by the doors. It's a two piece Steel Horse top. As you can see in the pictures it's "spreading" out just a bit at the ends on both sides by the doors. I've only had this jeep for a few months and this is my first rodeo with a HT. Are there any tips/tricks that you guys have done to get these to fit snug? I tried a couple of C-clamps but after a couple of bumps on the road it spread back out again. The original clamps on the top are working fine, just maxed out. I can't get it to tighten any further. As you can see it's kinda hard for the doors to shut. On the passsenger side door the PO slammed the door and it caught the top and even broke a piece of the door. Who knows what he did to this top. Probably drug it halway across his barn or something and thats why I'm having issues. Also, the slider windows are spreading out when I'm on the interstate. I've got a bungee cord stretched across the cab between both doors to help with that. Do they make new hardware/inserts (like the ones I got for my soft upper windows)? for the upper doors, the studs and threaded handles are all rusted on the slider windows. Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
Do you have your front bolts in? There are 6 that hold my hardtop down. 2 front, 2 rear, 2 middle. When you place the hard top, set the top so your doors dont rub, then tighten down the 6 bolts, then clamp the windshield. I have to keep rearward force on mine when I tighten the front bolts to keep the doors from rubbing.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Ok, I don't see it, but do you still have your soft top door surrounds on ... knew a guy who did that his first time putting a hard top on...

·
Registered
105 Posts
My dad has one of these targa tops with the fiberglass door tops. We had to cut off the pins some on the top half's of the doors to get his to fit. check and make sure they are going all the way down in the holes. Also just adjust your clamps to make it fit right to left and everywhere else. From the pics it looks like your rear section is too far forwards. This top will take some playing with to make it fit exactly right. Keep adjusting your clamps and it will fit.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Ok, I don't see it, but do you still have your soft top door surrounds on ... knew a guy who did that his first time putting a hard top on...
Don't think they make door surrounds like a TJ for a YJ....

There should be some bolts that go through the top into the tub with T-nuts on the bottom just like others have said. After you get the top secure to the body, you might have to pull the lower hinges loose to adjust the door closure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies everyone, greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I must have not recieved the bolts with the t-nuts from the PO. All I have holding the rear half of the top down to the tub is the four clamps. When taking off the hardware for the soft top (along the tub) there were bolts with t-nuts holding that rail in. Can I just use those for the hard top as well? Maybe I'll give that a try and move the top back a little and see what happens. Thanks again everyone!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dad's just clamps on and all we did was keep wiggling untill we got it where we wanted it. Don't give up!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Goose, what are my options if I don't have anywhere to run bolts throught? All this thing has is four clamps attached to it. There aren't any holes anywhere on this thing where I could put bolts in to attach it to the tub?!?!?!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Mine are drilled through the flange and through the rail. Granted mines a TJ not a YJ, but a similar meathod might be employed. If you're against drilling holes, maybe a new, or stronger set of clamps is in order. You're top should not move once it's fastened to the rails.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back in from the garage where I had a cold one and sat in the back of the jeep thinking about what I might do. Here's what I think I'm going to do. I might try to put a 1/4" spacer between the clamp and the top. This will raise the clamp up from the tub enough so I will have more adustment in the amount of tension on the clamp. With that being done I should be able to hold this thing down and not have it move. Anyone ever done anything like this? Am I crazy?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sounds like trouble to me... All the hard tops I have seen (plenty) have holes where bolts are mounted through to the lip in the tub, where you soft-top bows track bolts to also...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Are your soft top rails still bolted on? you have to remove them, there are plenty of holes under the soft top lock in rails.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There ain't no holes to bolt on a Targa top in the front. It has two clamps that attatch to footman loops screwed to your front window rail. All you need to do is scoot your back section farther back and make sure your door tops sit flush onto your half doors. Wiggle and clamp, wiggle and clamp. It will work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Might the tub have been replaced with a fiberglass tub and holes haven't been drilled yet or does every body tube come drilled?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got plenty of holes along the rail of the tub (took off the soft top brackets). Problem is I don't have anywhere on the hard top to put bolts through. All it has is the four clamps. No where along that edge is there any holes to put bolts through. Just tried my spacer idea and it didn't work very well. Got more adjustment out of the clamps but it still wants to spread out. Heres a pic of the inside of the top where I'm saying I don't have any holes. I test drilled a little hole through it and it's not going to be sturdy enought to put a bolt through. It's just fiberglass and wont hold up.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Picture 2 looks like the top needs to be raised up 1/8 inch.
By chance did you forget to put weatherstripping down on the tub rails before you put the top on?
All hardtops are designed to have either a rubber gasket or weatherstrip between the top and the tub.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
I've never seen weatherstrip on any factory hardtop...regardless, that being an aftermarket top it doesnt appear you even have a flange to drill through the top. That rounded inside panel poses a problem. If it were me I think I would find a factory top and not spend too much time trying to make that one fit.,,,,my 2 cents :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts