Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
nice! I'll be doing this for sure. Mind telling me how you fastened it to the ceiling? I'm worried about the weight of my tj hard top....

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
nice! I'll be doing this for sure. Mind telling me how you fastened it to the ceiling? I'm worried about the weight of my tj hard top....
I did the same for my JK top and my son's TJ top. 4 eye bolts for each in the wood beams in my garage ceiling.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yep...make sure you're right in the studs and you're good to go. The JKU top is surprisingly light if you've ever tried lifting it yourself. Either way, heavy duty eye bolts and some solid straps will keep it very secure. I weigh 200 lbs, and I checked the strength of the mounts by hanging and swinging on each strap after I installed 'em...lol. I'd rather break a hip than have to buy a new top. I also park nose in right under the top, so I have to make sure it doesn't crash down on my hood in the middle of the night...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exactly what Dr.evil said. 4 eye bolts in the joists. I did six. It's overkill.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I ahve been wanting to do something like this, but im trying to think of a good way to lower it back down, ratchet straps free spool when released. Whats your plan?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the same. Going with the harken though. The straps are cheap but I've always had a time with them getting twisted while trying to release them. Not something I want to encounter with it holding 200 pounds of hardtop that is expensive to replace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts