Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, first post so apologies if this question has been asked multiple times. I currently have a Hardtop on my 2011 Sahara JK 2dr and I'm considering purchasing the new Bestop NX Glide which has just come into the market. Would it be wise to sell my hardtop and go for the Bestop Twill soft top all year round ? My hardtop leaks a little (both footwells are damp under the floor mats after it rains) so i guess I'm reaching out to those Jeepsters who rock a soft top all year round (especially the black twill) how is it in the winter compared to a hard top ? Will I miss my hard top or won't I ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you have a spot to store your hardtop I suggest buying a used soft top for the summer and just switching them.
I just picked up a used Trektop NX for $200 in Iowa where we have less jeeps. I dont have the glide but from the sounds of it getting in and out of the back will not be ideal in the winter.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I sold my hardtop after getting a premium soft top and never looked back. No issues, no leaks, sound insulation almost as good as hardtop. The only thing I missed a little is a rear wiper, but not to a point of regret.

Thats been said - I'm in California, so winter weather is not a big issue here (although we had tons of rain this year, also my soft top went through harsh Death Valley windy and freezing weather few times).

Prices for used hard tops are steady (in my area 2dr hardtop usually goes for $1500-1600 on Craigslist), so in case you will really miss yours - you can buy it again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ordered mine with the dual top group last year,. The plan was for premium soft top in the spring/summer and hard top in the winter. Well, life happened and I never got around to putting hard top back on for the winter. It was more than warm enough with the soft top (granted I am in Misisissippi). Now I'm contemplating selling the hard top and just running my soft top year round.

The ability to "drop the top" during warmer months was a major reason for me buying a JKU in the first place, if that affects your view of my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I live in upstate NY and wanted to experience a winter with a soft top before I even considered selling my hard top. I bought a soft top during last summer, stored my hard top, and ran the soft top through the summer, fall, and winter. Now I know that I don't mind using the soft top in the winter, my hard top will be sold at some point soon.

My advice is install a soft top, and store the hard top for a while. If you make it through your first winter and you are good, put your hard top up for sale.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have a spot to store your hardtop I suggest buying a used soft top for the summer and just switching them.
I just picked up a used Trektop NX for $200 in Iowa where we have less jeeps. I dont have the glide but from the sounds of it getting in and out of the back will not be ideal in the winter.
That's a really good point you made about the Glide which I have not put much thought into. I guess when it's fully down it becomes an awkward obstacle getting stuff in and out of the back (my rear seats have been removed). I guess I shall hold off my purchase until I read more customer reviews etc)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks fellas all helpful replies here. I'm gonna wait a couple of months (our summer doesn't really start until then) in the meantime keep my eye on customer feedback regarding the Glide. If im not convinced I'll buy a 2nd hand soft top and save some cash. I'll also probably keep hold of the hard top too just in case in need to revert back to it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I sold my hard top to purchase a trektop pro about 9 months ago. I do regret selling my hard top because I haven't been 100% happy with the trektop pro like I thought I was going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought mine with a soft top and used it in NC snow all winter with no problems.. had a trektop. It was fine and had no issues with the snow or cold. Couple leaks here and there nothing I wasnt able to fix. Ended up seeing a good deal on a hard top and holly batman was it so much easier and more practical. I had no idea how much of a pain zippers where. How much I hated trying to stretch that fabric. I can unscrew the hard top climb in the back of the jeep stand up with it in my hands and a walk out with it over my head in about 5 min max. I through a trail cover in the back for rain and leave my spyder shade on all the time.. I sold my soft top and ill never go back.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thanks fellas all helpful replies here. I'm gonna wait a couple of months (our summer doesn't really start until then) in the meantime keep my eye on customer feedback regarding the Glide. If im not convinced I'll buy a 2nd hand soft top and save some cash. I'll also probably keep hold of the hard top too just in case in need to revert back to it.

The main issue with the glide is that the windows have to be stored the way they come off. They cannot be rolled or folded like any other top.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The main issue with the glide is that the windows have to be stored the way they come off. They cannot be rolled or folded like any other top.
Yeah that's true. I just was impressed at how easy you can pull back the roof to make it completely topless without actually removing all of the soft top.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yeah that's true. I just was impressed at how easy you can pull back the roof to make it completely topless without actually removing all of the soft top.

I was too but then I saw you can roll the NX forward and tuck under the sunrider. It looks much better and is easier in my opinion. It sits right on the sound bar and you can't see it.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
If we finally get a weekend here in N. Texas without threat of rain I'll fold my TT NX up with windows still attached and show you the look. It also tucks under sun rider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's awesome. Ok looks like I'll be buying the NX instead used or hopefully one in the sale which I'd imagine to happen now the Glide is out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One question though...when it's tucked under the sunrider is there any flapping, extra noise when let's say freeway driving ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts