Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a soft top right now which I do like being able to be out riding around and throw it back whenever or have it off and start raining and throw it up. However I have never owned a hardtop and if i did i would have the 3 piece freedom so i can t-top it on the go. Give me yalls opinions to help ne decide if i want a hard top or keep it soft....lol

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I run my soft top year round here in Texas. Except for it being a pain in the :mooning: to get into the back when it's raining or cold, I much prefer the ease of the soft top. Mike has just a hard top and he volunteered to swap with me, but I like my soft top too much. :D

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I think im just going to buy an aftermarket premium soft top.
I had a HT and loved the look and noise control, but I will have top down 7 months a year or more in Dallas. As soon as I sold the HT we didn't see the sun for 12 days and had temps below 40 for most of those days with snow and ice. Thankfully low 70's are within a few days. Glad I have the premium ST plus I got $1600 for my HT.

·
Registered
387 Posts
T-top as you say - lets call it freedom top, realty it has like 1 or 2 days a year purpose. If its freedom top time, well then its time to switch to the soft top. So yeah, unless you see a lot of snow and ice - rock that soft top. Hard top is quieter on the highway and that's about it for advantages.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Both. I LOVE having the option of having a relatively decent car when the HT is on, and then pretend I'm Marlboro Man at will with the ST. I will say this, though, I think the "freedom top" panels are utterly useless. Anything over 20 mph and the buffeting is unbearable. The HT is on for around 4 months here and since he boss lets me have the garage, I get to go for weeks sans top at all and sometimes even no doors if the mood hits me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Kinda hard to relax, It wasn't your kitten that exploded.

I like having the hard top for the winter because I am lazy. No rushing out to clean off snow and easy to wash the salt mess off. If I was in a warmer area without the snow and salt I would most likely never use it. I have a Trektop classic that will store in the back if I want it completely off.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I think im just going to buy an aftermarket premium soft top.
I'm sure you'll be happy, it is so much more convenient for everything except putting groceries in the back. The sunrider flip top feature is easier than trying to juggle and store panels. The back unzips so you get even more airflow. If you take out the side windows you have a half or full sunshade top. I run this way a lot so the kids get some shade. So many different configurations. With a hard top you get panels on or off. And that's it unless you remove the top all together. The main advantage with the hardtop is the back glass opens up like a minivan so you can put puchases back there.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Soft top all the way. Like you said its nice to be able to go top down in less than 5 minutes whenever you want. Plus if you ever get caught in a thunderstorm it's nice to have the top with you.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I run my soft top year round here in Texas. Except for it being a pain in the :mooning: to get into the back when it's raining or cold, I much prefer the ease of the soft top. Mike has just a hard top and he volunteered to swap with me, but I like my soft top too much. :D

So what passes for cold down there in Texas? lol

I ordered the hard top only because I'm still working on a garage/storage for the Jeep and didn't want the soft top with no where to store it. Hopefully I can rent a garage stall here at my apartment as I'd like to buy the setup from Quadratec with the tonneau, back window and Safari top.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hard top is nice if you live in the great white north and get super cold winter and lots of snow. Otherwise I would have a soft top.
I run soft top (the premium) all year long in the great northern country of canada.
Temperatures below -30 celsius is common (-22 farenheit), stopped measuring the quantity of snow we received this winter and all is good with it. The heater is able to keep me hot (have to remove hat, gloves and unzip my coat or it is too hot in there), the engine gets warm real quick so the heater goes to business really fast, the plastic windows defrost real quick (since they are not as thick a glass windows, they warm up real fast once you have the heater going).

Just remember to not let 3 feet of wet snow accumulate on top of it hehe!

The only reasons I see for a hardtop are
- If you like the look
- Added security

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
So what passes for cold down there in Texas? lol

I ordered the hard top only because I'm still working on a garage/storage for the Jeep and didn't want the soft top with no where to store it. Hopefully I can rent a garage stall here at my apartment as I'd like to buy the setup from Quadratec with the tonneau, back window and Safari top.
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. When we were moving to Texas I asked everyone what the weather was like. They all told me it was JUST like Florida! They LIED!!! :rofl2:

Last year the coldest day was 9*. This year hasn't been as cold, but we've had a lot more WET, cold days this year. But for a Florida girl (via Brooklyn), anything below about 65* is TOO cold!!!

I guess that's why God (and AJFROMACEENGINEERING) made Lava Jackets.

:D

·
Registered
946 Posts
I like that I can just put the soft top down in about 2 minutes by myself. But what I don't like is that it's a pain in the ass to put something big into the trunk area. You have to unzip the window. It gets to be a bit much when you're trying to get your kids' hockey bags back into there. And I like the the way the hard top looks much more than with the soft top up. Oh, and there's zero security with a soft top. Just unzip the windows and you're in.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I like that I can just put the soft top down in about 2 minutes by myself. But what I don't like is that it's a pain in the ass to put something big into the trunk area. You have to unzip the window. It gets to be a bit much when you're trying to get your kids' hockey bags back into there. And I like the the way the hard top looks much more than with the soft top up. Oh, and there's zero security with a soft top. Just unzip the windows and you're in.
That's why I run Safari Straps. At least will slow them down a little.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I never leave anything valuable in my Jeep so it's a non issue. A Jeep is like a big go cart. It ain't secure and I'm fine with it. lol!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts