Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says...I am stuck here, should I buy a hard top or a winch for my TJ? I cant get both at once so it is going to have to be one or the other. Any suggestions? I live just south of St. Louis so I do see cold and snow.

·
Administrator
12,602 Posts
If you wheel every weekend and keep getting stuck I would say go with the winch. If you want to protect yourself from the harsh winter a bit more as well as add some security to the Jeep then go with the hardtop.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
if you don't have a problem heating up or getting things stolen then go with a winch...how much cash do you have to work with?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
What use is a hard top? Does it get that cold in Missouri? If theft is the issue, I don't think anything will stop a thief. If they want in, they'll get in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bigjeep said:
if you don't have a problem heating up or getting things stolen then go with a winch...how much cash do you have to work with?
I have $1900 to spend. Theft is not a big issue around here. I havent done to much with my TJ yet simply because I dont want to get it stuck and not be able to get out. Here in missouri it is usually in the 40-20 degrees range in winter. Last night is was about 25 out and I drove home with heater on the second dot and was very comfortable.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Why don't you buy a used hard top off ebay or look in the paper till you find one, I see them go for about $900-1000 on ebay and saw one in the paper the other day for $600. They don't go bad, then you could afford to get both and maybe have a little left over. Just a thought.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
04moneypit said:
Why don't you buy a used hard top off ebay or look in the paper till you find one, I see them go for about $900-1000 on ebay and saw one in the paper the other day for $600. They don't go bad, then you could afford to get both and maybe have a little left over. Just a thought.
Thats what I would like to do but no one wants to ship a hard top. I dont really feel like driving a while to go pick one up.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
if theft isn't an issue and your comfortable in the winter then don't get a hard top...get the winch so that you can go wheelin without worry of gettin stuck! that is a great feeling! if you look hard you might be able to buy a used hard top for cheap and a winch

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would say if you want to do a lot more hard core wheeling go for the winch. I've never had to use mine, and experience dictates that you always use them on someone else. But, it is good insurance. If your existing top is in good shape, go for the winch and just watch the ads until you find one close enough to get. But, if you're in need of a top, don't leave yourself out in the cold. Like amerijeep said, if it's to prevent theft, don't worry too much, if they want it they'll get it anyway. Don't leave valuables in a jeep, or put them in a tuffy box.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bigjeep said:
if you do mud oh trust me you'll need the winch unless someone else is gonna pull you out.
Ya know I hate to say it but I'm not too big on the mud thing. I like rocks and trails, they seem to be more challenging than mud. And the clean up isnt as hard either.:D

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
nah you shouldn't hate to say it...i used to do all mud, but now im getting drawn away from mud even if its just trails and hill climbs. im startin to dilike mud more and like rocks and trails BETTER...i wheeled in the mud and it was alright but i'd rather do a trail if anything

·
Registered
648 Posts
No question get the winch.20-40 degrees isnt too bad for a soft top.Just dont wipe the ice of the soft windows they will scratch.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well I sold this lil problem. I got both..I found a like new hard top here in town for 800 bucks. It came off a 2005 rubicon. so now I will get a winch with the extra bones.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That's great, I'm glad you found a deal. I run a raymart 10000lb I got it on ebay with a roller fairlead and a mounting plate shipped for $560. Thought it was a pretty good deal, so I'll pass it on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys for the input guys. It sounds like I am going to get started on my project a little earlier than i had planned! That is always a plus. I need to post up some pics of mine so everyone can see how it goes with the progress.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I don't see a thing in the world wrong with having that kind of capability. He might need to move a hummer out sometime.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts