Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a 94 yj with a 4.0l manual transmission. I bought it about 2 months ago. Problem is, it came with a soft top and half doors. Which has been amazing for the summer. However, winter is coming and I'm hoping to track down a hard top. So my questions are: Will any year hard top work? Would I need any additional hardware if I'm driving a little ways to buy one and put it on? What should I look for on it? And, if I found one without a window, like the back one, is that a good deal? and is it fixable?
I really appreciate everything I've read on this forum so far. Its been great and very helpful!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I started with a CJ top on my YJ and now have a YJ top for it. The functional difference between the CJ7 and the YJ top is that the CJ latches from the top while the YJ rear hatch is held in by the closed tailgate. You will like a YJ top better because you won't have to open the rear hatch in order to open the tailgate. This is especially true if you still have the rear tire mounted on your YJ. The CJ7 top is also heavier.

I've not replaced the back hatch window, so I can't help you there. Sorry. I can tell you that I paid $400 for each of the two tops I've purchased and a lightening quick cursory search of google shows that replacement rear glass on the YJ top is @$200.

I found good quality full, hard doors to be much, much more rare and expensive than tops.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The hard top doens tmake the jeep any warmer on the inside. These YJ's have great heat and shoudl have no problem keeping you warm in the winter, even with the soft top. But if you do go and buy one, the Yj tops are lighter and designed better. If you use you half doors you need TJ uppers or full doors.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I think it does hold heat better with the hardtop/full door, I noticed a difference when I switched, iowa winters are cooold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts