Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals

I've been seeing quite a few Wranglers with the rear tailgate window open while driving. Is this ok? Is it a good idea?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Some people do, I wouldn't. Looks dumb and a chance something could break.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It's not made to be open when driving. Of course you can do it but if/when something breaks it's on you. I also don't like the way it looks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's summer, they own a Jeep. There shouldn't be a hardtop on right now. Haha. If it breaks with it open maybe they will get a soft top and remove the rear!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It doesn't break that easy. You actually have to hit something with it. I wouldn't roll around in a parking garage or go trailing with it, but cruising around town and on the highway its fine. Plus the dog loves it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've done it once, but only because I bought some stuff from Home Depot and it extended outside the rear window, barely past the spare. I left it open and drove home (about a 10 minute drive). I'm sure the window would be bouncing up and down if you're going down a very bumpy road, but I was dealing with all local roads (paved). I didn't see or hear it bump up/down...

·
Registered
292 Posts
The manual says not to do it since it can let exhaust fumes in. I would think that wouldn't be an issue if all the windows are down.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've done it once, but only because I bought some stuff from Home Depot and it extended outside the rear window, barely past the spare. I left it open and drove home (about a 10 minute drive). I'm sure the window would be bouncing up and down if you're going down a very bumpy road, but I was dealing with all local roads (paved). I didn't see or hear it bump up/down...
x2 I do this every other weekend it seems. My home is in the process of getting a bit of work done by me and I've made quite a few trips to Home Deport for lumber, rolls of deck carpet, and other large bulky items. If I couldn't drive with an open rear window I'd have been driving around last weekend with a trailer containing six 2x4x8's and eight 8' quarter round molding sections.
The opening rear window is probably the one big area where I prefer the Wrangler to my dearly departed XJ.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I drive 45 minutes, almost all highway, each way to/from work. I'd driven this entire route with the back window open multiple times.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Done it a few times myself. No problems other than the window shocks are a little stiff when I get ready to shut the window.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Unless you drive with the front windows down or the top panels/sunrider off/back, it will allow engine exhaust into the cab as you drive. Risk of window breakage is pretty substantial too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't. I take the truck when I'm going to Home Depot. If I didn't have the Tundra, I'd hook up the little flat-bed utility trailer. It wasn't intended to be driven with the rear window open.

But in a pinch, I guess it's okay.....

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've had surfboards in the back that stuck out past the spare. I use a bungie between the window and spare that keeps tension on it to prevent bouncing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts