Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Some people do, I wouldn't. Looks dumb and a chance something could break.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It doesn't break that easy. You actually have to hit something with it. I wouldn't roll around in a parking garage or go trailing with it, but cruising around town and on the highway its fine. Plus the dog loves it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've done it once, but only because I bought some stuff from Home Depot and it extended outside the rear window, barely past the spare. I left it open and drove home (about a 10 minute drive). I'm sure the window would be bouncing up and down if you're going down a very bumpy road, but I was dealing with all local roads (paved). I didn't see or hear it bump up/down...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've done it once, but only because I bought some stuff from Home Depot and it extended outside the rear window, barely past the spare. I left it open and drove home (about a 10 minute drive). I'm sure the window would be bouncing up and down if you're going down a very bumpy road, but I was dealing with all local roads (paved). I didn't see or hear it bump up/down...
x2 I do this every other weekend it seems. My home is in the process of getting a bit of work done by me and I've made quite a few trips to Home Deport for lumber, rolls of deck carpet, and other large bulky items. If I couldn't drive with an open rear window I'd have been driving around last weekend with a trailer containing six 2x4x8's and eight 8' quarter round molding sections.
The opening rear window is probably the one big area where I prefer the Wrangler to my dearly departed XJ.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Unless you drive with the front windows down or the top panels/sunrider off/back, it will allow engine exhaust into the cab as you drive. Risk of window breakage is pretty substantial too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't. I take the truck when I'm going to Home Depot. If I didn't have the Tundra, I'd hook up the little flat-bed utility trailer. It wasn't intended to be driven with the rear window open.

But in a pinch, I guess it's okay.....

·
Premium Member
2012 JKU Rubi
518 Posts
I've had surfboards in the back that stuck out past the spare. I use a bungie between the window and spare that keeps tension on it to prevent bouncing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.