Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to pull off the hardtop for the first time on my new to me '05 TJ. I was wondering how high does the top need to be lifted off the body to clear the roll bar, tub, etc, if the rear window is opened and the tailgate is then closed so the spare passes through. I am looking at using a lift of some type to remove but want to make sure that I have enough vertical travel with out getting too much sway from a long cable. I have searched previous threads but be unable to find if this had been discussed. Thanks for any help on this as well as all the helpful knowledge and humor shared on this forum. I like others used info on the forum to get ideas/direction on what I was looking for in my first jeep.

·
Commercial Member
7,891 Posts
Once you lift it off, are you leaving it hang, or dropping it down to move it elsewhere?

My suggestion, if you have room above, lift it high enough that you can walk under it without hitting your head.
Ask me why (almost needed stitches)....

But otherwise, it only need lifted a few inches and you can drive out from under carefully.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to set down on rolling cart with full doors to store under carport, just don't have enough room to mount lift mechanism to ceiling due to Jeep lift. Thanks for the info Shark.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
You don't really need to lift up. Just enough to get your fingers under the sides. Leave the hatch closed and the rear glass up and walk straight back.

If the top has never been off or not off in a long time, The foam on the underside of the top may be stuck to the tub. You may really need to push up at the front door opening to break it loose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for further detail Neil. That is what I was hoping to hear.

Planning on using a hoist hanging from cantilevered arm attached to old concrete anchored basketball pole. Needed to make sure I had sufficient height to mount hoist and still have enough room to "raise" top of of tub. Only need to use twice a year, so planning on re-installing pole to anchored base for spring removal and winter install of hardtop. Lower top to cart and then roll top and doors to carport.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
If you are just taking it off for the season, no need for a hoist. All you need is one other person and just lift it off.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I just sold an old back glass to a guy had his sitting on a cement slab. He needed the back glass because his shattered when a gust of wind got to the top. It also damaged other parts of the top. I visualize a car port as just a roof over a cement slab, susceptible to wind. Something to think about.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a 6" lift and just installed a Harken hard top hoister in my garage, I pull it up to the ceiling but once I clear the doors I can pull right out from underneath it. As far as clearance goes, as long as you can drive out from underneath it without hitting the rear spare tire you're good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts