Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my stock hardtop with a soft top option, I've looked in Amazon but since I am no expert I would like some guidance..

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 dr... So far I've narrowed it down to these options, don't like the square look for a softop, also would it be possible to ride with a soft top in all weather conditions? I know some jeeps do have them but I don't know the performance factor againts cold weather conditions...

I would like the ability to take the tops off enjoy and when the weather gets bad or rains, be protected. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

Amazon.com: Bestop® 56822-35 Black Diamond Trektop NX Complete Frameless Replacement Soft Top with Sunrider® Sunroof Feature: Automotive

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB0UZDG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2FDYLXCLK92TX&coliid=IVFJNU65Y28YE

·
Registered
27 Posts
That first option you linked to seems to be a very popular choice. I've heard the installation can be a little hard, but there is a video tutorial that should help, and the key is to let the fabric sit in the Sun for a while and relax.

I have a hard top on my JKU, but from what I've read elsewhere, the soft top shouldn't be a problem to use year-round as long as it's installed properly and maintained. Except for the worst rainstorms, you shouldn't have to worry too much about it leaking water, and they do a good enough job of retaining heat. Biggest issues with the soft top is they are less secure than a hard top, since anyone could walk up and take down the windows, cut through the windows, etc. and the fact they are noisier than the hard tops.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not sure about pavement ends, but I had a trektop NX on my 2-door for a while. I had to modify it a bit to keep it from flapping on the highway (stronger rear bar across roll bars), but after that, I loved it. Note that neither of these tops are easy to completely remove or roll back like the regular soft top. The windows come off and leave you with a very nice safari top. I ran mine all summer long with no doors and just safari top. Pulled carpets, got waterproof seat covers (iggee), and let it fly. It was awesome!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a 97TJ many years ago. I replaced the top with a Best Top "Sail-Cloth" version. The wind noise reduced noticeably. It also had a tinted rear windo option which helped with heat in the summer. Never had an issue with leaks from the factory soft top or the Best Top replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts