Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just curious to see if anyone has built a custom roof rack/basket for their TJ hard top. I'd like to build my own and I have an idea but I was just checking to see if there were and other ideas out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
33,540 Posts
I installed a mid 90's Ford Explorer roof rack on mine.

I use a roof basket with it that I bought off Amazon. Works great for hauling luggage, camping gear and even the Christmas tree.

Here's the write up I followed.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/junkyard-roof-rack-630944/

The only thing I changed from the write up was, I used a piece of flat steel on the inside instead of washers.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
That's a great option if you don't mind drilling your hard top. Use silicone sealant liberally, and spread the load as widely as possible (like using the flat stock underneath).

I'm building a rack on my trailer lid out of unistrut... it's just to hold a yakima megawarrior rack anyway...

·
Registered
33,540 Posts
That's a great option if you don't mind drilling your hard top. Use silicone sealant liberally, and spread the load as widely as possible (like using the flat stock underneath).

I'm building a rack on my trailer lid out of unistrut... it's just to hold a yakima megawarrior rack anyway...
I applied silicone around all 8 holes in drilled and have had no issues, I did it almost 6 years ago.

·
Registered
495 Posts
:awesome:

Great "out of the box" thinking.

I'm always looking for a way to use "other" stuff to fix/modify my stuff!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts