Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hard top did not come with the sheet metal screws for the windshield. I was just wondering the size and length you all used thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I used 3/16 self tapping screws in mine. They have a bolt head and a small drill bit built into the tip of the screw. works much better that trying to drill a hole and get a sheet metal screw started in it.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Oh, 3/16 X 3/4 long. 1" long will still be ok, but any longer and you will be drilling the whole way thru the windshield frame.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The screws will eventually strip out the holes requiring bigger and bigger screws 'til you can't feasibly attach the hard top any more. I'd get some of these. They'll help the attachment points last longer since you'll have more to thread into. It's what I'll be doing come spring as my soft top channel attaches the same way and some of the attachment points are already stripped.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ended up using #8 x 1/2 self taping sheet metal screws. They will work for now! Next prob is the top came with tj uppers that had one of the pegs cut off to fit a yj. Needless to say they seal like crap! Can I use cj doors? If so will I need to adjust the striker?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts