Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
If all goes well, I will be purchasing my first ever Jeep once the '14s are available. I have been doing my research, and I cannot make a decision on what option would be best for me regarding the tops.

Looking at getting a Sahara, which will be a "semi" DD. I will be keeping my current car as well, which in theory would allow me to take the doors and top off from April through October/November (I live in Birmingham, AL) and get a Spidershade, and simply drive my other car on days that threaten rain.

I definitely want to go with the hard top, so that I can take the Jeep on weekend trips and not worry about security if we stay overnight at a hotel. But I'm torn on the soft top. I've been reading many posts here that talk about what a PITA putting on/taking off the soft top can be, but I also understand the potential benefits of having a soft top (not to mention that soft tops and Jeeps just seem to belong together!).

So my questions are:
1. Is the soft top really that difficult to deal with, that I may end up saying "screw it" and not even use it?

2. Has anyone else been in the same situation, and if so, what did you decide to do (and did you regret your decision)?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. This site has become the first site I check EVERY DAY, and it is amazing how much you all have taught me about Jeeps in the short time I've been a member!!!

BTW -- I will be sure to do the "Jeep Wave" every single time, and I promise not to call it a car!!! :thumb:

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
If you can afford it, get the dual tops.....or buy an aftermarket/take-off soft top.

I ordered hard-top only...but I knew I would keep my eyes open for a good price on a soft-top.

Since you are in the south, you have more "soft top" days than we do up north.

I'll add this much as well. If you have the room in your garage for a hoist and the doors, along with a "rainy day" vehicle....it is much, much, much easier to enjoy a topless doorless Wrangler. Going out every night to button up the Jeep in the driveway starts to suck after awhile (I really need to finish getting the garage cleaned out).

·
Registered
609 Posts
1. No it is not that difficult to deal with. I can take mine down in less than 5 mins and putting it up takes the same amount of time.

When I got mine I got the dual top only because the winters here in MI can be brutal at times and wanted the hard top for that. If I lived where it is warm most of the time, I would have just gotten a soft top.

I take trips with mine all the time and never worry about staying somewhere just because the soft top is on. I don't keep anything worth any value in any of my 3 vehicles. Hard top or not, if someone wants to break in they will. You can also get security trunks etc to put in the Jeep and lock if that would make you feel better about the soft top.

Me personally, I would never own a Jeep without a soft top. Once it gets 45 and above, I take the top down!! But that is probably just a Midwest thing!!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Definitely dual top if you live anywhere where theres a winter. Hard tops are no more secure than soft tops. Breaking a window is as easy as cutting a top.

Im going to buy a hard top before next winter. The soft top sucks in the winter simply because you cant open the back window when its cold. I cracked mine that way. But other than that the soft top is great. Doesnt retain heat after engine is shut off though. Soft top is pretty quiet as well.

The soft top is only hard to operate when i am drunk.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Run my soft top from beginning of April until late October. Only reason I have the hardtop is for the winter and access in and out of the rear. Soft top is fine and easy to put up and down by myself even on the 4 door. Get both!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Run my soft top from beginning of April until late October. Only reason I have the hardtop is for the winter and access in and out of the rear. Soft top is fine and easy to put up and down by myself even on the 4 door. Get both!
April to october? Maryland isnt that cold. Id probably only rum hardtop december to feb here......and i use a lot of 4hi during that timebtoo

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I have a feeling I'll put my spiderwebshade and soft-top away towards the end of September. At a certain point, I rather just rock the hardtop with the nice headliners and use the Freedom panels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought that a dual top would be nice, but living in Florida I knew I wouldn't use the hard top that much. So for me it became an issue of storing the hard top and I just don't have the room for it, so I went soft top only.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
OP:

here in the PNW the introduction of the hardtop design is the single feature that finally drove me over the Wrangler-JK edge.

My Sahara came with both tops; the soft top has never been on the rig. After 2 1/2 years of DD pleasure with the hard top options so easily managed, I doubt the soft top will ever be mounted in any case.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I was torn with the dual top option on my 2009. Got the hardtop only and wished I would have got the dual top.
Ordered a soft top for Bestop and liked it but not as much as the hardtop and after 6 months of switching back and forth sold the soft top.
Got a 2012 JKU and got only the hard top. Wish I had the soft top again.
In May 2013 traded 2012 JKU for 2013 JKU with dual top option and Premium Soft top which is 100 times nicer than the original soft top.

·
Registered
202 Posts
On my second jku and it was duel tops both times. The price is right and the completely different feel you get from each make it worth it. After a couple times working the soft top is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The only reason I didn't get the dual tops is because I got too good a deal on the hard top I purchased and the 2012s were no longer being manufactured. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have waited a few months and gone that route. Since the heavy rains have stopped here, I don't anticipate going back to my hard top until November or so.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
The only reason I didn't get the dual tops is because I got too good a deal on the hard top I purchased and the 2012s were no longer being manufactured. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have waited a few months and gone that route. Since the heavy rains have stopped here, I don't anticipate going back to my hard top until November or so.
Unless it was a painted hardtop, most dealers around here would swap a soft top onto it for ya off another jeep. Then id buy the hardtop on craigslist......now if its painted i understand...

a salesman at the dealership, after i mentioned the winter issues with putting cargo in with a soft top, tld me to go on craigslist for a hard top...lmao. never once suggested going to the dealer for it....

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Dual Tops for sure! As stated before, if you have a garage and another car. Top down and leave it down. I just put mine up since we are about to get a few days of rain. At first the soft top can be pain. Once you're used to it, it's a breeze.
Nothing better than going topless. Take the doors off too and it's like skinny dippin'
:rofl:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dual Tops! I'm in northeast Ohio, where the winters are pretty serious, so I knew I wanted a hard top for the winter. But I don't want the limitations of the hard top all summer. Right now the hard top is hanging in the garage, and I'm loving the ease of putting down the soft top when the weather is nice.

The soft top is pretty hard the first few times you put it up, but it gets easier as it breaks in.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Dual top. You want the hard top from factory (already wired/plumbed for wiper, defrosted, etc. The soft top is awesome. Yes hard to put on at first but stretches and then is great. Second choice would be hardtop then look for a used soft top after the fact if you want it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you want to save some coin - get the hard top and buy a trektop nx.

I have the dual top group on my 07 Sahara but got the hard top and nx for my 13 Sport....like my sport setup much better!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Dual top. You want the hard top from factory (already wired/plumbed for wiper, defrosted, etc. The soft top is awesome. Yes hard to put on at first but stretches and then is great. Second choice would be hardtop then look for a used soft top after the fact if you want it.
Cant defrost wips or wash soft top anyway

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I'd do Hard top.

Then if you want a soft top, either get one from the classifieds or get whichever aftermarket top you like most.

I believe the soft top is a $1500 option. You can get a Bestop Supertop for under $1000. They make the OEM tops. If you don't like the OEM top, there are many choices including the Trektop NX which is frameless so easier to put on and take off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts